1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want a bot

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by ChemicalKicks, Feb 18, 2012.

1. ChemicalKicks

ChemicalKicks Well-Known Member

Anyone know of bot software that would work with XenForo?
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

What is bot software and what does it do?
  3. ChemicalKicks

Well I would like it to assume an account that I give it access to and post preset messages on demand.
  4. 3c

3c Active Member

you would think that any of the old IRC eggbots would work with a little tweaking...
    ChemicalKicks likes this.
  5. ChemicalKicks

Those are the inspiration actually :)

This is the dream, I post

"xenbot attack (username)"

Then xenbot comes along and insults said member mwahahaha
  6. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

I would think it would be easier / more secure to create a table fill it with two columns

dissID | DissText

and then just load it with disses.

then create a math function to select randomly from the table. I imagine this would be a moderator/admin tool (unless this is like the !slap boxing in an irc #chan) so I would (if I could) make a button next to report under posts that triggers reply + auto grabs a diss by triggering that math function and inserting the data from column 2 in that row into the post underneath the quote.

I used to have a few bot scripts some simple some complex...but basically the cool people who were trying to teach made me acknowledge multiple times that hooking into anything outside of the chan/server that the bot is in, is basically making a botnet. I still can't tell you why, I can tell you is that they told me if I manage to do it...it is not their fault...that is the one part I did get at the time.

I will say a bot would be kind of cool, there was an AI chat bot (like this http://www.computerhope.com/zero/) in a room I used to frequent and it would really answer questions and talk back if you acted up. There is a lot of possibilities with IRC but I still think it would be better to use the DB from the forum rather than wait for all the handshaking of an irc server communicating 2 way with your forum.
    ChemicalKicks likes this.