I think its time

Mike Law

I think its time to move to xenforo.
I run a mildly popular (very small, but about 50.000 visitors)

I run the forum on vbull 4 with vbseo, and now like to move to xenforo.

I have some questions

1) I will have to sell the vbul+vbseo before I can buy the xenforo, so for a day or so I guess the forums will need to be down for the migration.

2) what kind of problems will I run into with the "move", in other words, how can I make this transition with minimal to no downtime or inconvenience to the members?

3) sorry to ask, but if I do buy xenforo, is there a risk still with the "legal" issue that it will become obsolete?

4) with my vbull I use keycapthca and it turned out to be the only viable anti-spam for me at the moment, blocking 2 registrations a minute, .... how can I ensure spam stays out like it does now with xenforo

Other than those points, looking GOOD!!!!

2) what kind of problems will I run into with the "move", in other words, how can I make this transition with minimal to no downtime or inconvenience to the members?
Well due to the fact you have to sell your vb to buy xenforo that will be some downtime right there, The importer is very fast and slick so I can't see you having problems there

3) sorry to ask, but if I do buy xenforo, is there a risk still with the "legal" issue that it will become obsolete?
Only time will tell.. (IMO No way.... It's here for some dam time :D )

4) with my vbull I use keycapthca and it turned out to be the only viable anti-spam for me at the moment, blocking 2 registrations a minute, .... how can I ensure spam stays out like it does now with xenforo
There are many addons for this and also Xen has built in spam blocker's :)

Other than those points, looking GOOD!!!!
It is good mate :) you will love it...

From my pov as a xf customer.

1) Ideally you need to buy the XF before hand... see below.

2) Test it all before hand. There is a few things to get used to with XF that arn't entirely obvious. Jumping in feet first is not a good idea, although the support you will get on here is second to none. For example, you use vbseo so you will need a custom rewrite for your boards urls. > http://xenforo.com/community/threads/redirects-for-vbseod-urls.5098/

3) No guarantees until the final verdict is in, however your XF copy will be safe yes.

4) XF captchas seem fine to me.

wow, thanks for the super quick and detailed information.
I guess its best to buy xenforo, test it and move all over, than sell my vbull stuff...

I do have to say that keycaptcha is pretty awesome, so far it seems to have worked very well. Perhaps it will mod over to xenforo?

wow, thanks for the super quick and detailed information.
I guess its best to buy xenforo, test it and move all over, than sell my vbull stuff...
I would highly recommend doing things in that order. Buy xf first, get used to it, do test imports, then final import.

Then of course do what you want with the other license.

Top Bottom