I noticed a strange drop in traffic across many forums.

How the heck to you manage that?
dunno_2011.gif

I don't know of anything that has changed by I am in free fall. Saturday is always my slow day but not anymore. I am afraid to see what this Saturday is going to look like.

Daily log in's falling like a rock.

nosedive.webp

User registrations are taking a tumble too.

registrations.webp

It looks like the post count is holding up though. It looks like I am losing my non-participants.

Last edited:
Hm, I think it's time to start looking at technical stuff like DNS issues or intermittent connectivity, etc.

That's pretty scary considering nothing has changed (as you say).

Hm, I think it's time to start looking at technical stuff like DNS issues or intermittent connectivity, etc.

That's pretty scary considering nothing has changed (as you say).

This is an 8 year old forum and I have never seen anything quite like this.

What are your posting and registration stats like?

Do you think the hit is in new registrations, or just people not logging in or posting as much?

What were your top keywords, and do you still rank for them?

Do you think the hit is in new registrations, or just people not logging in or posting as much?

I never paid a bit of attention to things like top keywords. I built the place and they came. I never did anything to try and grow the forum, it just did on it's own. Now it seems to be shrinking on it's own.

The last time I checked the post count seemed to be holding it's own. Members logging in each day has dropped by maybe 25% but new registrations have dropped a lot more than that. They are about 1/3 of what they used to be.

I am finding a lot of sites that have gone down worse them mine and their decline started at the same time. I then find others that seem to not be affected at all by the date. About half that I have looked at seemed to start their decline about the same time mine started.

Last edited:
I never paid a bit of attention to things like top keywords. I built the place and they came. I never did anything to try and grow the forum, it just did on it's own. Now it seems to be shrinking on it's own.

The last time I checked the post count seemed to be holding it's own. Members logging in each day has dropped by maybe 25% but new registrations have dropped a lot more than that. They are about 1/3 of what they used to be.

I am finding a lot of sites that have gone down worse them mine and their decline started at the same time. I then find others that seem to not be affected at all by the date. About half that I have looked at seemed to start their decline about the same time mine started.

Sounds like you've dropped for some important keywords. Less new users generally means less threads for existing users to take part in - so it has a knock on effect.

Go to google analytics and analyze where your traffic is dropping from. If it's from Google, then you either get dropped from very good keywords or may even get blacklisted/punished for something (check your status at Google's webmaster page).

Go to google analytics and analyze where your traffic is dropping from. If it's from Google, then you either get dropped from very good keywords or may even get blacklisted/punished for something (check your status at Google's webmaster page).

I never have installed google analytics.

Doesn't it need to have been installed before the drop off to have been a benefit?

Last edited:
I have Google Analytics installed now.

How can I tell I have been blacklisted? I am not really sure what to do with Google Analytics now that it is installed.

I never did anything to grow the forum, it just grew on it's own. I am just astonished at the way it has fallen recently.

I don't have any keywords. I got along fine without them. I have never done any SEO activities.

Last edited:

The posting activity has not dropped, it is holding up. New registrations dropped form the 80's and 90's a day down to 20's-30's. Daily log ins are way down but the members that have been with me awhile have stayed.

I have Google Analytics installed now.

How can I tell I have been blacklisted? I am not really sure what to do with Google Analytics now that it is installed.

I never did anything to grow the forum, it just grew on it's own. I am just astonished at the way it has fallen recently.

I don't have any keywords. I got along fine without them. I have never done any SEO activities.
Can you go to historical data in Google analytics?
In addition, register your website here:
www.google.com/webmasters/‎

In terms of keywords, you don't really need to do anything intentionally to be indexed in good keywords, It could happen by its own.

Can you go to historical data in Google analytics?
In addition, register your website here:
www.google.com/webmasters/‎

In terms of keywords, you don't really need to do anything intentionally to be indexed in good keywords, It could happen by its own.

How do I get historical data before I installed it?

Posts have not dropped yet, what has happened is like all forums a fraction of the new members stick and become regulars. We are not getting new members.

We were getting 80-90 new members a day and a percentage of them would stick but most where short timers.

We lost the new members coming in, we are losing the short timers, the long term members are sticking.

Last edited:
How do I get historical data before I installed it?

Posts have not dropped yet, what has happened is like all forums a fraction of the new members stick and become regulars. We are not getting new members.

We were getting 80-90 new members a day and a percentage of them would stick but most where short timers.

We lost the new members coming in, we are losing the short timers, the long term members are sticking.
Try to change the date range in Google Analytics to see if you can obtain historical information. Chances are slim, but who knows.

Top Bottom