XF 1.5 I need an AWS EC2 expert who can upgrade from v1.5 to 2.x

jar546

What is the deal with Amazon AWS when I give the my one and only password and user ID to someone to upgrade my Xenforo and they, along with Xenforo (I am 0-2) are unable to access what they need to in order to complete the job. I am the owner of the forum and AWS account but I know NOTHING about how AWS works whatsoever. I've had upgrades before without any issues but now all of the sudden, not even Xenforo can help me. If they don't know then how the hell am I suppose to know. If you have the account user ID and password then why can't you get to where you need to OR at least tell me EXACTLY what I need to do to help you?
Do I sound frustrated? Yes, I am.

As the staff member clearly explained in your ticket, you have two factor authentication enabled via your mobile phone.

You were informed that you can either provide the code when the log in attempt is made, or disable the authentication to allow us to log in and perform the upgrade.

I'm not sure where the frustration or negative comments are coming from, or why - that was all explicitly mentioned in the ticket.

The only person who has access to the code to allow log in to the account, or who can disable the 2FA, is you.

Whoever you get to do the upgrade will encounter the same issue.

I am going to ask you again for the same thing I asked before:

They need to send their IP ADDRESS or they can’t get in. Without their IP, there is no access. Ask them for it.

According to my IT guy, we need your IP address so you can get it.

Then this:

In simple terms, the access to the SSH PORT on your server is BLOCKED and without their IP address, no PEM or Root password will help them. If you want me to open that **** up so that any rank amateur hacker can try to login to your server 24/7 then ok fine. If they’re incapable of proving their IP address, then that’s what I’ll do. And I’ll create a new PEM for them and be on my way.

So how about some help please Brogan?

Then this:

In simple terms, the access to the SSH PORT on your server is BLOCKED and without their IP address, no PEM or Root password will help them. If you want me to open that **** up so that any rank amateur hacker can try to login to your server 24/7 then ok fine. If they’re incapable of proving their IP address, then that’s what I’ll do. And I’ll create a new PEM for them and be on my way.

So how about some help please Brogan?
Okay, start by changing your console.aws.amazon.com account password if that's what you provided because they didn't need that in the first place.

Your IT guy is saying he will allow XF staff to access your server directly using a protocol called SSH, which allows them to view your server and run commands. But first he needs their IP address so that he can allow it through the firewall.

You won't need to provide any password to the XF staff because your IT guy is saying he will provide a PEM key for them that will allow them to login.

Hope I could help and I'm not intruding. I would suggest you ask your IT guy to generate the PEM key file first to save some time while waiting for XF staff's IP address.

To explain what on earth the XF staff were talking about, they tried to login to your Amazon account using the ID and password you provided, but they couldn't get in because they needed the temporary code that gets generated in your two factor authentication app. You know how on console.aws.amazon.com you type in your ID then your password, and when you click sign in it asks for a third thing, that number code? That code only stays valid for 30 seconds for security purposes.

In reality though, they still wouldn't be able to access your server anyways without a PEM key file from your IT.

Last edited:
Top Bottom