I need a new scanner for OS X

rellek

Hi there,

I recently upgraded my iMac to OS X 10.9 Mavericks and yes, I do know it's still in beta.
Everything - hardware-wise - works fine, except my scanner. My current one is a Canon CanoScan 4400F. Its feature set is okay for me. I basically only need it to...well, scan stuff. Like documents.
Well, I _am_ aware that this scanner is quite old by now. Its driver was developed somewhen when Leopard was the current version or even earlier. The driver did work until Mountain Lion, though. But because this scanner is so old, I'm afraid Canon will not upgrade the driver.

So I'm looking for a new one. It should be quite new to the market so that there's no successor available to "force" the vendor to take care of Mavericks. Best case would be a scanner which already has a driver that works with Mavericks.

Do you have any recommendations on that? Didn't plan on spending too much for such piece of hardware, maybe like 100 Euros (which would be around 115 Dollars).

Not near your price range but go ahead replace all that with this anyway. :D

The Canon Color imageClass MF8580Cdw prints, copies, scans, and faxes and comes with Wi-Fi standard.

Wireless connectivity Air Print, Google Cloud Print, Wi-Fi
Easily access the scan, eco-copy, and secure print functions right from the control panel with the Simple Solution Keys
Navigate through all features seamlessly with the 7-line color LCD display
Print in black and white and color up to 21 pages per minute
Send scanned documents and forward received faxes to a recipient through email or file server

MSRP is $599

$479.99 through Amazon with Free Shipping.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...40332-rg2419-00-20?s=merchant&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Well, there's nothing good in terms of stand-alone devices any more? What I'd need would be a plain scanner... Because I already have a great printer, so no actual need for a multi-function device.

Well, there's nothing good in terms of stand-alone devices any more? What I'd need would be a plain scanner... Because I already have a great printer, so no actual need for a multi-function device.

You can look for one of those ultrasmall portable USB scanners. It's basically just a A4 size long and 2-3 cm wide.
http://www.xeroxscanners.com/en/us/products/XMS/default.asp?PN=XMS

This one is expensive, but there should be some less expensive models.

Top Bottom