I need a new desk - moving

seojoseph

Hello,

I hope all is well. Basically Im looking for advice. I am moving and I built a custom desk for a space here. Now I spent well over $1500 just on the wood alone. I'm talking with my carpenter to reuse the wood - and maybe go for another layout. I'll let you look at my current desk:

my%20desk.jpg

I have a few goals:
  • I want it to be able to fit the three screens comfortable.
  • I really don't find myself using the top TV I have there on top as much as I thought I would so maybe that can be placed somewhere else.
  • I need something modular. I don't want to build another desk thats fit for the space.
  • I don't really need all the space I have on top. I don't mind building a book shelf.
What Im looking for is maybe some comfortable desks that could fit three screens.. something that can be taken apart for moves later.. Money is not really a issue so if you show me something thats neat - that can comfortably fit the equipment I have. What you don't see there is the server I have. HP gen8. I don't know. I'm moving so I need to think of something quick so I can show my carpenter.. and he can take my desk and fabricate it.

What desks/layout have you seen/have that could work?

Joseph

Hello,

I hope all is well. Basically Im looking for advice. I am moving and I built a custom desk for a space here. Now I spent well over $1500 just on the wood alone. I'm talking with my carpenter to reuse the wood - and maybe go for another layout. I'll let you look at my current desk:

my%20desk.jpg

I have a few goals:
  • I want it to be able to fit the three screens comfortable.
  • I really don't find myself using the top TV I have there on top as much as I thought I would so maybe that can be placed somewhere else.
  • I need something modular. I don't want to build another desk thats fit for the space.
  • I don't really need all the space I have on top. I don't mind building a book shelf.
What Im looking for is maybe some comfortable desks that could fit three screens.. something that can be taken apart for moves later.. Money is not really a issue so if you show me something thats neat - that can comfortably fit the equipment I have. What you don't see there is the server I have. HP gen8. I don't know. I'm moving so I need to think of something quick so I can show my carpenter.. and he can take my desk and fabricate it.

What desks/layout have you seen/have that could work?

Joseph

Nice desk!

This is something I would suggest after the move. You should have the current stripped down and then built to suite at your new location. Even if it is going to be more 'portable', you want to be sure the measurements will work out at your new home

IKEA Galant and L Shaped desk, same color. Mobile storage units matching the color scheme under each desk. Everything should cost under $1,000.

IKEA Galant and L Shaped desk, same color. Mobile storage units matching the color scheme under each desk. Everything should cost under $1,000.
Good point, but not the same as hand crafted. Hand crafted furniture has a certain warmth from within.

Both work. Depends what the user wants.

Good point, but not the same as hand crafted. Hand crafted furniture has a certain warmth from within.

Both work. Depends what the user wants.
True. These particular IKEA desks are long lasting.

I understand what you mean about hand built. But realize it'll cost you a significant amount of money, especially as you'll be seeking a hardwood. Just plain wood and nails will cost around $500 in materials. Assuming you can build it and know what you're doing. Anything handmade by a wood worker will cost 5-7x more. And that's if you use one type of wood throughout (no exotic woods or special inlays) and minor detailing on the edges.

On the other hand, if you DIY, you can buy a grand desk off of Fleabay or Craigslist and restore a solid wood desk yourself. You just need some stripping chemicals, a fan, scrapers, and stains of your choice. You could buy a pine wood desk from those channels, strip it, sand it.

I'm not sure of the exact term, but you get a blow torch and lightly go over areas like the edges or intricate swirls and whatnot. Then take fine sandpaper and sand most of it away. Clean with alcohol and then stain. You could also run an acid wash on it so it looks like beachwood. Much cheaper than having someone build that for you, seeing as the distressed style is very expensive.

True. These particular IKEA desks are long lasting.

I understand what you mean about hand built. But realize it'll cost you a significant amount of money, especially as you'll be seeking a hardwood. Just plain wood and nails will cost around $500 in materials. Assuming you can build it and know what you're doing. Anything handmade by a wood worker will cost 5-7x more. And that's if you use one type of wood throughout (no exotic woods or special inlays) and minor detailing on the edges.

On the other hand, if you DIY, you can buy a grand desk off of Fleabay or Craigslist and restore a solid wood desk yourself. You just need some stripping chemicals, a fan, scrapers, and stains of your choice. You could buy a pine wood desk from those channels, strip it, sand it.

I'm not sure of the exact term, but you get a blow torch and lightly go over areas like the edges or intricate swirls and whatnot. Then take fine sandpaper and sand most of it away. Clean with alcohol and then stain. You could also run an acid wash on it so it looks like beachwood. Much cheaper than having someone build that for you, seeing as the distressed style is very expensive.
I wonder if that's what is called distressing the wood?

Wow what an awesome desk.
@seojoseph
See if you can get your tradie bloke who built that desk to see if he can build another one that's similar.
Do that after you move though. Good luck with the move. If you need to order it before you move make sure your tradie knows the new address so he can install it for you.

Im just going to do something like whats below but using the same wood. Im on the new place already and the carpenter is going to "refurbish" it. I will post pictures when its done.

Attachments

• open-corner-workstation-desk---3-piece1.webp
    open-corner-workstation-desk---3-piece1.webp
    7.3 KB · Views: 26
Nice work on that desk (if you did that on your own). That looks like a nice place to work. :)
Im just going to do something like whats below but using the same wood. Im on the new place already and the carpenter is going to "refurbish" it. I will post pictures when its done.
Those are [also] called "L" desks, hence the design.

Top Bottom