I just lent a VB coder my xenforo files

Status
Not open for further replies.

maidos

Lent my xenforo files to a vb coder, a reliable guy who is well known among vborg. He can consider coding a mods for xenforo but dont possesses a license so i lent him to use as temporary so he can adapt the mods toxenforo, is that ok, as long as the xenforo isnt being used on public

Nope, not ok: LINK
This license is granted to You alone. You may not redistribute the Software in whole or in part. You may not rent, lease, sublicense, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of XenForo Limited.

However, if he is a member of your staff, he could work on your password protected test site:
You may create a single additional test installation for the purpose of testing the Software. Any test installation of this kind must be password protected, and access to it must be limited to You and Your website staff.

its not public, as it will be on his developer server so only he has access to the files, aka localhost.
Still not ok?
If it still isnt, should i install it on my server and let the coder access the files through the domain that i licensed under? it would be pw protected through htaccess?

its not public, as it will be on his developer server so only he has access to the files, aka localhost.
Still not ok?
No,it is not.
If it still isnt, should i install it on my server and let the coder access the files through the domain that i licensed under? it would be pw protected through htaccess?
Correct. Perhaps it does not need password protection,provided it is the only one installed.

I don't see the problem. Yes, you are not allowed to distribute the files, but there is no difference between the guy remote coding, or local coding. Either way it is your non-public test-setup. So within the license agreement.

The risk is 100% yours. If your licensed files are distributed by him, not he, but YOU are legally responsible for that, and you Will be hold responsible. I hope since it's a paid job that you have a written and signed contract with the developer(s).

There's no difference in my opinion if the files and host account is on your computer, your host computer, or your developers' setup. He needs access to the files to read the code, customize it, upload new files and work with the instance to develop something.

That said: He's not much of a developer if he writes code for others without having invested in a license himself so he doesn't NEED the license of the other party. That way he is more professional, and he doesn't put the owner of the license in the position you're in.

I don't see the problem. Yes, you are not allowed to distribute the files, but there is no difference between the guy remote coding, or local coding. Either way it is your non-public test-setup. So within the license agreement.

The risk is 100% yours. If your licensed files are distributed by him, not he, but YOU are legally responsible for that, and you Will be hold responsible. I hope since it's a paid job that you have a written and signed contract with the developer(s).

There's no difference in my opinion if the files and host account is on your computer, your host computer, or your developers' setup. He needs access to the files to read the code, customize it, upload new files and work with the instance to develop something.

That said: He's not much of a developer if he writes code for others without having invested in a license himself so he doesn't NEED the license of the other party. That way he is more professional, and he doesn't put the owner of the license in the position you're in.
Exactly
I also share the xf code with all my coders in my company.

Exactly
I also share the xf code with all my coders in my company.
This license is granted to You alone. You may not redistribute the Software in whole or in part. You may not rent, lease, sublicense, sell, assign, pledge, transfer or otherwise dispose of the Software in any form, on a temporary or permanent basis, without the prior written consent of XenForo Limited.

As Dean and others have said, this is in breach of the terms of the contract.

You would need to submit a ticket and get permission to do this.

You should've asked before the deed, really.

I don't think the terms stop this coder having FTP access to the files hosted on your server, provided (s)he isn't going to download them.

While XenForo is in beta, it is not officially supported via tickets.

To ask questions or receive support, please post on the forums.

thats why i created this thread
But you didn't post asking for advice asking whether it was OK, you posted just to say you had already given the files away.
Lent my xenforo files to a vb coder
All you needed to do was click on Contact Us

I think before creating the thread the OP knew it wasn't allowed. Lending of CDs, movies, etc. might be more common, but 'lending' software is effectively giving your coder the XenForo installation, which is distribution.

I think before creating the thread the OP knew it wasn't allowed. Lending of CDs, movies, etc. might be more common, but 'lending' software is effectively giving your coder the XenForo installation, which is distribution.
if you thought i knew it wasnt allowed why did i create this thread in the first place, anyway emailed, close this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom