I have combined two power houses Wordpress + XenForo and I am already reaping the rewards in 6 days!

Gregory Lynn

To make a long story short I closed down my forum for 3 days and I decided to reopen it and convert the forum from 8wayrun portal + XenForo, To a new domain and I am using Wordpress as the landing page.

So far today I have only seen the Wordpress stats and Webmaster tools stats. And Wordpress is telling me that I have had 26 searches on the home page and Webmaster Tools is telling me over half of the forum is re-indexed under the new domain.

When I was using the 8wayrun portal I never got a single search on the landing page. They were either referrer or direct traffic. But now I am going to get landing page traffic + forum traffic = win win for me website.

I will update this thread once I fix all my links and the forum is fully indexed again. As I build more and more Wordpress articles, traffic should get better and better. (y)

Greg

Hmm... this is probably because my Portal has ZERO open graph data attached to it...

I'll add it all in the next version and hopefully future users who use my Portal wont have the same issues you had with it. Thanks for the heads up as search results is something I NEVER thought about with the portal.

Xenforo should just hire Jaxel. He has provided so many mods and that would speed up development of Xenforo so they can work on a CMS/Blogs/User Albums, etc. using his mods and brain as a starting point.

Hmm... this is probably because my Portal has ZERO open graph data attached to it...

I'll add it all in the next version and hopefully future users who use my Portal wont have the same issues you had with it. Thanks for the heads up as search results is something I NEVER thought about with the portal.
I can still track people who search the website through Google Analytics. And no one ever landed on the portal page unless they were either referrer or direct traffic, how ever your event and media plugins got lots of searches.

My website is now seeing daily searches on the landing page thanks to Wordpress. Plus I am getting the searches from the forum and your event and media plugins. I can not wait to see the search results when I have a 100+ articles in Wordpress.

P.S. its hard to beat the SEO power of Wordpress. I can not wait to see what gets more searches in two months, the forum or Wordpress

its hard to beat the SEO power of Wordpress. I can not wait to see what gets more searches in two months, the forum or Wordpress
Both are equal in terms of SEO, IMHO. It's all about which one you want as the "king" of your search efforts.

If you want a tight knit community, you want to market that blog, and let the members come in when they like. If you want the forum to be popular, then you want to market the forum. But if you want both to be popular, you've gotta give both situations an equal attention.

But if you want content to be your biggest market, then you're going to need to market that blog heavily.

Both are equal in terms of SEO, IMHO. It's all about which one you want as the "king" of your search efforts.

If you want a tight knit community, you want to market that blog, and let the members come in when they like. If you want the forum to be popular, then you want to market the forum. But if you want both to be popular, you've gotta give both situations an equal attention.

But if you want content to be your biggest market, then you're going to need to market that blog heavily.
I plan on working on both equally, but money is tight right now because we are paying off bills. February 90% of my bills will be paid of and thats when I plan on going crazy gathering blog content.

Um. I wouldn't go 'crazy' gathering content. Do it slow, day by day, one thing at a time. Build the foundation.

THEN go crazy.

It also depends on WHERE the portal is...

For instance: http://8wayrun.com/ will get more results than http://8wayrun.com/portal/

Why? Because search rankings are generally based on something called link backs. The more people who link to a page, the higher the page will be ranked. It's why the majority of forum spam are link farms; because it creates link backs. If nothing links to /portal/ then the page will get almost zero search ranking points; its what you called an "island" page... and islands are a bad thing.

So if you had XenPorta at /portal/, its only natural that it gets less search results than Wordpress at /.

Top Bottom