I have a .us domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

CarpCharacin

On my site, I am using a .us domain. I have it under my dad's name and I don't have my real address there, but people could still find it. What should I do? I have the SSL set up on the .us domain. I want to keep the .us domain because it would be hard to switch, but I don't want people stalking me. So what should I do?

Either put up with your details being shown (many people do) or see if your domain registrar offers ID protection for domains (which is an additional cost).

Either put up with your details being shown (many people do) or see if your domain registrar offers ID protection for domains (which is an additional cost).

You can't get protection on a .us extension. Since 2006 the Commerce Department has not allowed that, also if someone was to report the OP's site, it could be taken down due to the fact he is using a fake address.

You can't get protection on a .us extension. Since 2006 the Commerce Department has not allowed that, also if someone was to report the OP's site, it could be taken down due to the fact he is using a fake address.
Sorry, I didn't know that. I know you can get protection for .com .net etc domains and in the UK you can get protection for .uk domains, so I assumed it was the same for .us.

I wish I could get privacy. It says that it dosen't allow registrars to give out privacy, but can external privacy services do It? I read that some place has it for $5.

Well you have two options.

1) Live with what you have.
2) Switch extensions, and wait a year for the .us domain to expire.

Either way though, someone would still have your personal info if they already looked it up.

File a police report if you are being stalked, why so dramatic? No ones going to come looking for you personally blowing away loads of money just to harm you.

Sure it can be a concern but changing something so important isn't worthwhile. We had an issue where I recieved threat emails/calls (was a terrible incident involving some well known personalities within our niche) and that info was got via whois lookup, it stopped on its own in a few days and I didn't even have to file a complain (not that police would help me in my country anyway, but there you have the luxury of a better law enforcement).

But not as known. I like the .us domain and I have the SSL udner it.
The SSL is an LetsEncrypt one and issuance of one under a new domain is easy-peasy.
if you ARE thinking of changing, now is the time to do it and use 301 redirects so you have a longer period of the search engines updating. As for your "video"... most people won't be viewing a video that's a few years old. if they used it, then they already have the link and a redirect would send them to the new site, where you'd have a notice posted for members (customized for who it's shown to).

If you like the domain, deal with the restrictions in place on it. Part of those is that the registrar REQUIRES a valid US address for issuance of them and your data is public. I'm sure you could get a PO Box (or you could at one time) and use that.

All domain names have to have information associated with them. In all honestly, what's the problem? If you whois any domain, you'll probably find a decent amount of information.

Heck, if you whois my domains my name and current address are listed (as is my mobile number, so feel free to call me ;)).

I used to fork out for privacy protection, but it costs now and to be honest, the legal owner of the domain is the one listed in the WhoIS, so...

In reality, if you run a website, you have to live with the fact your domain is going to be released.

(Although, non-trading individuals holding a .uk domain can have their address withheld from the Whois servers).

Additionally, what's the actual chance of someone wanting to stalk you? Very little, and if they did, they could probably do much better than getting details from a domain whois :)

Liam

Heck, if you whois my domains my name and current address are listed (as is my mobile number, so feel free to call me ;)).
many use privatization services on their site now - along with CloudFlare. I've got to get a PO box for use with my Pipe site as I'm planning on doing commerce there so it is easier to get an EV certificate.

Code:
Tracys-Mac-mini:.ssh tracy$ whois thebent.bike
Domain Name: thebent.bike
Domain ID: eec2f45a2bf440ff8f8f82a7c0737903-DONUTS
WHOIS Server: www.namesilo.com/whois.php
Referral URL: http://www.namesilo.com
Updated Date: 2015-12-20T01:07:03Z
Creation Date: 2015-06-24T03:02:17Z
Registry Expiry Date: 2017-06-24T03:02:17Z
Sponsoring Registrar: Namesilo, LLC
Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 1479
Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
Domain Status: clientRenewProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientRenewProhibited
Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
Registrant ID: ns-6d22cace0f3ec
Registrant Name: Domain Administrator
Registrant Organization: See PrivacyGuardian.org
Registrant Street: 1928 E. Highland Ave. Ste F104 PMB# 255
Registrant City: Phoenix
Registrant State/Province: AZ
Registrant Postal Code: 85016
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: +1.3478717726
Registrant Phone Ext:
Registrant Fax:
Registrant Fax Ext: