I hate cookies - Who else shuts them off?

MapleOne

Screenshot (95).png

I have always hated cookie notices and being from Canada we really don't have any laws (i am aware of) that state we have to have the notices.That said, even if there was a law I would boldly ignore it for my forum.

Most everyone knows about cookie laws now and having to repeat the same crap over and over again for every website seems a bit silly to me. My ad blocker removes all cookie notices and I rarely if ever see them.

I noticed no difference in the latest Xenforo upgrade because I don't have cookies enabled and chances of anyone going after a small forum site is probably almost nil.

So my question is...

Is there anyone else like me, just fed up with all this cookie nonsense?
Anyone else out there that just disabled it all?

I’m in favour of my users having complete control of their browsing experience, so cookie notices and controls get a plus one from me.

I have always hated cookie notices and being from Canada we really don't have any laws (i am aware of) that state we have to have the notices.
Brace yourself, amigo. A lot of the new privacy law is drawn from GDPR and similar. It died on the order paper when Trudeau dropped the writ last year but it is back before Parliament. Not sure if the law itself addresses cookies or if it is leaving details like that to regulations. Because of my size and being non-commercial, I am technically exempted from the current law. Need to check if that continues with the new one.

I am fine with the existence of cookies but it would have been far better for all concerned if they had remained in their original use, which was mostly necessary first-party cookies to manage things like shopping carts and maintaining a login session. Third party tracking cookies and the privacy risk they create have really spoiled the cookies for all (there's probably a baking analogy there but I am not a baker).

Top Bottom