I forgot how much fun Linux can be... not!

The Pi computers are good for small, mundane tasks (in my circles, they are popular for use as music streamer endpoints) but I can see why your mini PCs would do a far better job. The only issue I'm left with now is that I need to upgrade my desktop computer to do a lot of video editing, and that requires a lot of horsepower for what I'll be working with. Already shopping components. It's gonna get ugly đź’¸.

BTW, I solved my power issue and bought an Anker 521 power station when Amazon had their Prime sale a couple of weeks ago. 256Wh of power from a LiFePO4 battery, and I can either charge it while using it, or take it into the hotel room at night to charge if it's been used all day. I have some items I need to keep powered when I'm on the road (12V refrigerator, DSLR and Milwaukee tool battery chargers, etc.) and this is perfect. It has few outputs, but it's also their smallest unit. By the time I priced out making my own, this came out less expensive, and less clumsy than anything I would have cobbled together.

If needing 120v inverters, it's usually cheaper to get a pre-configured unit unless you are looking at using something like a 100-200AH battery.
Luckily all I need is the 12V components to work as most of my equipment runs off of 12V. And if I need 120V for anything, I can always carry one of the generators (which I normally do in the winter anyway to run an electric heater when at remote sites).

Top Bottom