I find styling XF frustrating.

Well I'm no expert, but I found that removing "@imagePath/xenforo/gradients/etc" has made matching up colors a lot easier for me. I have to say that using Styling Properties is almost a complete waste of time. For anything I want to remove (ie trophies) or change (ie list order) the TMS is very useful. For most styling I just go direct to EXTRA and keep hacking away at it until I get the results I want. It's a struggle for me and it would be great if there was some document that listed the CSS for EVERY single element in XF. I like to think I'm getting better as the weeks roll by, but I'm still mired in the styling and haven't got to the important stuff like a photo gallery.
XenForo and the developers who make add-ons for XenForo ... Need to not have so many global shared settings.

If I change X in one place... I hate that it ends up changing Y in another.

Also not everything seems to changeable in extra.css

Also not everything seems to changeable in extra.css

Agreed, I've had to use SP for a few things that I couldn't define in EXTRA. Once I finish my styling, I'll go back and have another crack at them to see if I've gained enough knowledge to do everything in EXTRA.

Agreed, I've had to use SP for a few things that I couldn't define in EXTRA. Once I finish my styling, I'll go back and have another crack at them to see if I've gained enough knowledge to do everything in EXTRA.

I've only come across one thing i could not change in extra which was something with tinymce.

Oddly enough, the majority of TinyMCE I was able to style without using !important much (You'll be proud, I actually styled the editor!).

Someone had an issue trying to change the font-color in the editor type area. I just noticed they had to go into the tinymce template css to change that. all the stuff i can change within it (pain in the arse) if you doing a dark style then you have to create a new spritesheet otherwise the matting makes it look hideous.

Someone had an issue trying to change the font-color in the editor type area. I just noticed they had to go into the tinymce template css to change that. all the stuff i can change within it (pain in the arse) if you doing a dark style then you have to create a new spritesheet otherwise the matting makes it look hideous.

Do you know how many things change if you change this color

PHP:
.pairsInline dl, .pairsInline dt, .pairsInline dd {
color: X VALUE;
}

Answer: To many things

Do you know how many things change if you change this color

PHP:
.pairsInline dl, .pairsInline dt, .pairsInline dd {
color: X VALUE;
}

Answer: To many things

easy solution would be for exampleif i wanted to adjust the dd dt etc in messageuserinfo it would go something like this without affecting other areas
Code:
.messageUserBlock .pairsInline dd, .messageUserBlock .pairsInline dd a {
    color: #FFF6E8;
}

easy solution would be for exampleif i wanted to adjust the dd dt etc in messageuserinfo it would go something like this without affecting other areas
Code:
    color: #FFF6E8;
}
I thought about that and did that earlier.... Still changed something.

I found a compromise by picking a color which works with both light and dark background.

It will change because I've done it throughout my styles in the profile, message areas, membercard etc. Don't forget you may need to add the !important but everything specifically is easily configurable without it affecting other places.

I found a compromise by picking a color which works with both light and dark background.

you don't have to compromise. You can alter each individual element specifically without it ever affecting any other area. Whatever colour your wanting to use you can have implemented.

It will change because I've done it throughout my styles in the profile, message areas, membercard etc. Don't forget you may need to add the !important but everything specifically is easily configurable without it affecting other places.
That's what I always forget. XenForo seems to need that more than most. :confused:

I'm almost done tweaking "Anonymous" I just need to remember how I got photos onto the side bar and I think I'll be done. :)

for example because my other example of the pairsInline dd standardt text and links would be the same if you say for example wanted pairsInline dd links red it would be as follows if you were modifying them in the messageuserinfo

Code:
.messageUserBlock .pairsInline dd {
color: red !important;
}

if you wanted .pairsInline dd links blue it would be as follows

Code:
.messageUserBlock .pairsInline dd a {
color: blue !important;
}

if you wanted both standard text and links pairsInline green (same colour) it would be

Code:
color: green !important;
}

edit: just read your previous post. nice one.

for example because my other example of the pairsInline dd standardt text and links would be the same if you say for example wanted pairsInline dd links red it would be as follows if you were modifying them in the messageuserinfo

Code:
.messageUserBlock .pairsInline dd {
color: red !important;
}

if you wanted .pairsInline dd links blue it would be as follows

Code:
.messageUserBlock .pairsInline dd a {
color: blue !important;
}

if you wanted both standard text and links pairsInline green (same colour) it would be

Code:
color: green !important;
}

edit: just read your previous post. nice one.

The problem was the text on the member's card.

changing all the blue text to another color

Screenshot from 2012-10-13 00:10:14.webp

The problem was the text on the member's card.

ah I see, I know everything works fine and is configurable with the membercard as i've modified this area extensively a number of times. I do know for the membercard you have to !important practically everything in that area otherwise you won't see any changes you make. Bit of a pain but it's the only way to alter things in the membercard area.

You might want to glance at the code i used in one of my membercard submissions, that has all the code css you will need as chances are I altered everything in that area in all my designs.

if your wanting to change the dt and not the text underneath that reads "socially was last seen blah blah" change the hexvalue to something you prefer.

Code:
.xenOverlay.memberCard .userStats dt {
color: green !important }
I had it changed to another color, but green actually looks nice there. Think I'll use it :)

I find styling XF is really easy, I actually enjoy creating themes for XF.

When your used to xf and you go and try make a theme for mybb (or whatever else) you really do see the difference and how privileged we are with the XF styling system.

I was looking into IPB Board today and that is what you can call frustrating. IPB styling is horrible

Top Bottom