Fixed I can edit someone else's note on their media item

Matt C.

Affected version
2.0.0 Beta 1.
The title is pretty self explanatory, as well as the picture. This might just be a permission issue on the XenForo community forums.
Screenshot (28).webpScreenshot (29).webp

I'd guess that this is just a permission setting. In XFMG 1.x you could set permissions such that anyone can tag other users on an image (rather than restricting it to just the image owner). I'm guessing that this is an extension of this with notes.

Interestingly you only have the Write a note option in your screenshot, whereas I have both that and Tag a user. So maybe it's a permission thing based on different user groups.

1504685975644.webp

Default setting for "Registered" usergroup is to allow add/edit note on any image:

1504686877861.webp

That kind of renders the "Delete note from any image" setting being No as a bit redundant, since you can effectively remove a note if you have edit ability.

In my opinion, the logic here needs a rethink.

At least I think Add note on any image and Edit note on any image should be separate permissions otherwise Delete not from any image permission is pointless.

From what I can tell, the logic is largely just copied from the media tagging - and that logic works when it's pretty much on/off (someone is either tagged or they're not) ... just needs some tweaks to make more sense for more free-form content that notes are.

Yeah the add/edit note on any wasn't quite thought through properly. We'll look to separate those. It's certainly more reasonable to be able to add a note / tag to any image than it is to edit them, whereas combining add/edit on your own image is much more reasonable.

As I mentioned above, this has now been split into two separate permissions.

"Add note on any image" remains as it was, though its default is now based on the "tagAnyThread" permission.

"Edit note on any image" is the new permission and this is only given, by default, to users who can already edit any post.

Last edited:
Top Bottom