I came over from SMF...and couldn't be happier!

Mr. Doug

Just a post for those of you thinking about migrating from SMF.

I started with SMF back when it was called "YABB" many many years ago. I'd stuck with the software and built several very successful (10,000+ member) forums with SMF over the years.

A few months ago, when it was time to do a major overhaul on a board that I was turning into a proper business, I started looking at other software packages. "Just to see" I told myself. I had decided to stick with SMF because I knew it. I made a few posts, trying to find someone that could make me a theme to match the new WordPress theme that I'd created for my site. I kept getting portfolios that all looked terrible. Not at all what I was going for.

Then I got a message from one designer, telling me that I really needed to look at XenForo, and that he could match the design perfectly. I weighed the options. I looked at the plug-ins that I was going to have to buy to make SMF do what XF did out of the box. The cost was actually cheaper to go with XF. So...I took the plunge.

The site I was migrating has 3,500 members, and 500,000-ish posts. This was a 13yo site that my users had become accustomed to using. I was worried that they wouldn't like XF, but "change happens" I told myself. The conversion from SMF took about 36h to complete, but there wasn't a single error along the way. Just set it up and let it run!

The site launched this past Sunday, and the member feedback has been extraordinary. Not a single complaint, and plenty of accolades. The site is easier to use than ever, and it only took me a few days to get used to how things work now. SO MUCH EASIER in the end.

I'm still learning new things about XF every day, and loving it more than ever.

So, I want anyone considering the jump from SMF to know this: Just do it! You'll be happier than ever.

If anyone is interested in taking a look: https://puttertalk.com is the site that I am talking about.

Last edited:
As a quick follow-up, here's the process I used.

1. Set up 2 new servers (I was moving to AWS for the new site, so this was easy.)
  2. Get existing SMF to the latest version possible
  3. Install XF 1.5 on Server 1
  4. Install XF 2.1 on Server 2
  5. Import SMF site data to Server 1 (This took about 16h for my site.)
  6. Update Server 1 to XF 2.1 (This took another 3-4h to complete)
  7. Import data from Server 1 to Server 2 (This took another 16h to complete)

Then, I was done with it, and all the posts/threads/conversations were intact.

One thing that I DID NOT move over were the member groups. I found this easier to do manually after the change-over, and made for a simpler install.

Import data from Server 1 to Server 2 (This took another 16h to complete)
Did you actually do an import from XF2.1 to XF2.1, or did you just move the files and database?

The latter would have been the preferred method, and much quicker.

I really like the look of your website, specially the main page. Is that wordpress or do you use any addons to accomplish that look (slider + 3 columns)?

The latter would have been the preferred method, and much quicker
I had a development server in the middle, so it was cleaner for us to do it this way. I had 5 different people working on the server setup, design, WordPress, and everything else. I knew I was adding an unnecessary step, but this was the way that we had to do it.
Is that wordpress or do you use any addons to accomplish that look
Thanks! I started with the "Extra" (Divi derivative) theme from Elegant Themes, and then heavily modified it. I can't take credit though. I had an amazing designer do it for me.

ermmm I just checked out your site and I must say its very impressive, probably one of the best xenforo sites out there. Would be great to post in the showcase section if you could so others will see it, what I really liked is how the theme is seamless across wordpress and xenforo, anyway I could go on but I wont, except to say welcome to the xenforo family and good luck with the site.

ermmm I just checked out your site and I must say its very impressive, probably one of the best xenforo sites out there.
Thank you! That's high praise. I'm not done making tweaks yet, as I have an idea in my head and won't sleep until it's perfect.

Still getting used to everything. I should be done with the changes I want to make in another week or two.

Wow your site looks fantastic. Glad you joined Xenforo. I wish you much luck with everything. You definitely made the right decision. Xenforo seems to be the most user friendly these days.

Top Bottom