I am buying a new camera...

EQnoble

Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera

I am wondering if anyone experienced has any input on this and preferably with some experience with higher end canon cams which is what I think I will be going with at this point + 2 lenses. I am trying to find out if there is a better choice.

I have seen quite a few photographers in attendance here so I figure why not give it a try.

Model: Canon EOS 5D Mark III 22.3MP Full Frame CMOS Digital SLR Camera

I am wondering if anyone experienced has any input on this and preferably with some experience with higher end canon cams which is what I think I will be going with at this point + 2 lenses. I am trying to find out if there is a better choice.
The 5D3 (5D Mark III) is indeed a very good camera. Lots of folks are happy having upgraded (say from a 5D2).
Do you have any Canon glass at all? If you don't have a significant investment in Canon glass, you might want to look into the Nikon D800. Some are calling it a game changer. I think it really depends on what you want to shoot. For instance, the D800 only does 4 frames per second. I believe the 5D3 does 6. While that's only 2 frames/second faster, it can make a difference if you're shooting sports or wildlife.

I should point out here that I am a Nikon shooter (I have an F100, D7000 and a D800) with enough invested in Nikkor glass that I wouldn't switch on a whim, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

At the level of camera we're talking about, it's not so much the body as it is the vision and skill of the person holding the body, and to a lesser extent, the glass. You've probably heard this before, but there are really fine images that have been shot on cell phones.

So, go out to one of your local camera stores and get a hands-on feel of the Canon, the Nikon, and any other brand you're considering. Do more reading and asking around the net before you decide.
Remember, buying a body usually means you're buying into a (long-term) system.

The 5D3 (5D Mark III) is indeed a very good camera. Lots of folks are happy having upgraded (say from a 5D2).
Do you have any Canon glass at all? If you don't have a significant investment in Canon glass, you might want to look into the Nikon D800. Some are calling it a game changer. I think it really depends on what you want to shoot. For instance, the D800 only does 4 frames per second. I believe the 5D3 does 6. While that's only 2 frames/second faster, it can make a difference if you're shooting sports or wildlife.

I should point out here that I am a Nikon shooter (I have an F100, D7000 and a D800) with enough invested in Nikkor glass that I wouldn't switch on a whim, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

At the level of camera we're talking about, it's not so much the body as it is the vision and skill of the person holding the body, and to a lesser extent, the glass. You've probably heard this before, but there are really fine images that have been shot on cell phones.

So, go out to one of your local camera stores and get a hands-on feel of the Canon, the Nikon, and any other brand you're considering. Do more reading and asking around the net before you decide.
Remember, buying a body usually means you're buying into a (long-term) system.
I am going to reread this at least three times before I make a decision now....

I am going to be dual purposing this...I will actually be using whatever I do end up purchasing for my ventures in traditional photography as well as mounting to one of the following scopes for some good exposure time in space :-)
meadeScopeChoice1.webp
meadeScopeChoice2.webp
meadeScopeChoice3.webp

In my location there really isn't a shop with any high end equipment for a long way...and those that do don't have much of a selection. I value the hands on method you have described but I just don't have the means for that application of shopping. In fact the highest end camera I have seen ever in my local area was in a pawn shop and that camera retailed for about 1700 USD considering the package included.

I want something that will still be high end for a few years at least so I can focus on taking better and more creative captures rather than learning a new camera. I specified canon only because as trends go it happens to be easier for me to find canon components in my location...but for the right reasons I am willing to ignore that trivial detail. In fact everyone I have asked face to face has said pretty much canon or nikon.

The camera is more important and like you pointed out I try to only do things without term limits so long term investments is what I opt for...which is why as a newb to the hardware details surrounding modern optics it is hard for me to rationalize a choice for a long term journey not even knowing the vehicle enough to gauge a bearing and with almost no access to the higher end gear without actually acquiring it it puts me in a predicament.

I will not be so much shooting sports...but wildlife is a for sure and extended exposure to star light is one of my primary uses for this camera.

Thanks for the info...I will keep collecting it and try to come to a conclusion without running away from my sanity :-)

Top Bottom