I almost doubled disk I/O

m1ne

By updating to 4.9 Linux Kernel from Elrepo (on CentOS 7) and changing the performance profile in tuned to "latency-performance" from the default "balanced". This is done using the tuned-adm command.

More info here -> https://wiki.mikejung.biz/CentOS_7

IOPS measured using fio increased a lot and read/write speeds measured using DD almost doubled. Awesome!

yeah 4.9 kernel has alot of improvements all round while latency-performance boost will vary depending on server setup in CentOS 7 :)

what were FIO disk i/o numbers before and after ?

fyi the default profile for virtual-guest already includes throughput-performance profile so for some maybe same performance as switching to latency-performance

for me it was basically same performance either way

virtual-guest (includes throughput-performance) vs latency-performance

Code:
sdiff -w 180 /usr/lib/tuned/virtual-guest/tuned.conf /usr/lib/tuned/latency-performance/tuned.conf
#                                                                                       #
# tuned configuration                                                                   # tuned configuration
#                                                                                       #

[main]                                                                                  [main]
summary=Optimize for running inside a virtual guest.                                  | summary=Optimize for deterministic performance at the cost of increased power consump
include=throughput-performance                                                        |
                                                                                      > [cpu]
                                                                                      > force_latency=1
                                                                                      > governor=performance
                                                                                      > energy_perf_bias=performance
                                                                                      > min_perf_pct=100

[sysctl]                                                                                [sysctl]
                                                                                      > # ktune sysctl settings for rhel6 servers, maximizing i/o throughput
                                                                                      > #
                                                                                      > # Minimal preemption granularity for CPU-bound tasks:
                                                                                      > # (default: 1 msec#  (1 + ilog(ncpus)), units: nanoseconds)
                                                                                      > kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns=10000000
                                                                                      >
# If a workload mostly uses anonymous memory and it hits this limit, the entire         # If a workload mostly uses anonymous memory and it hits this limit, the entire
# working set is buffered for I/O, and any more write buffering would require           # working set is buffered for I/O, and any more write buffering would require
# swapping, so it's time to throttle writes until I/O can catch up.  Workloads          # swapping, so it's time to throttle writes until I/O can catch up.  Workloads
# that mostly use file mappings may be able to use even higher values.                  # that mostly use file mappings may be able to use even higher values.
# The generator of dirty data starts writeback at this percentage (system default       # The generator of dirty data starts writeback at this percentage (system default
# is 20%)                                                                               # is 20%)
vm.dirty_ratio = 30                                                                   | vm.dirty_ratio=10
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      > # Start background writeback (via writeback threads) at this percentage (system
                                                                                      > # default is 10%)
                                                                                      > vm.dirty_background_ratio=3
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      > # The swappiness parameter controls the tendency of the kernel to move
                                                                                      > # processes out of physical memory and onto the swap disk.
                                                                                      > # 0 tells the kernel to avoid swapping processes out of physical memory
                                                                                      > # for as long as possible
                                                                                      > # 100 tells the kernel to aggressively swap processes out of physical memory
                                                                                      > # and move them to swap cache
                                                                                      > vm.swappiness=10

# Filesystem I/O is usually much more efficient than swapping, so try to keep         | # The total time the scheduler will consider a migrated process
# swapping low.  It's usually safe to go even lower than this on systems with         | # "cache hot" and thus less likely to be re-migrated
# server-grade storage.                                                               | # (system default is 500000, i.e. 0.5 ms)
vm.swappiness = 30                                                                    | kernel.sched_migration_cost_ns=5000000

throughput-performance vs latency-performance
Code:
sdiff -w 180 /usr/lib/tuned/throughput-performance/tuned.conf /usr/lib/tuned/latency-performance/tuned.conf
# tuned configuration                                                                   # tuned configuration

[main]                                                                                  [main]
summary=Broadly applicable tuning that provides excellent performance across a variet | summary=Optimize for deterministic performance at the cost of increased power consump

[cpu]                                                                                   [cpu]
                                                                                      > force_latency=1
governor=performance                                                                    governor=performance
energy_perf_bias=performance                                                            energy_perf_bias=performance
min_perf_pct=100                                                                        min_perf_pct=100

[disk]                                                                                <
readahead=>4096                                                                       <
                                                                                      <
[sysctl]                                                                                [sysctl]
# ktune sysctl settings for rhel6 servers, maximizing i/o throughput                    # ktune sysctl settings for rhel6 servers, maximizing i/o throughput
# Minimal preemption granularity for CPU-bound tasks:                                   # Minimal preemption granularity for CPU-bound tasks:
# (default: 1 msec#  (1 + ilog(ncpus)), units: nanoseconds)                             # (default: 1 msec#  (1 + ilog(ncpus)), units: nanoseconds)
kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns = 10000000                                            | kernel.sched_min_granularity_ns=10000000
                                                                                      <
# SCHED_OTHER wake-up granularity.                                                    <
# (default: 1 msec#  (1 + ilog(ncpus)), units: nanoseconds)                           <
#                                                                                     <
# This option delays the preemption effects of decoupled workloads                    <
# and reduces their over-scheduling. Synchronous workloads will still                 <
# have immediate wakeup/sleep latencies.                                              <
kernel.sched_wakeup_granularity_ns = 15000000                                         <

# If a workload mostly uses anonymous memory and it hits this limit, the entire         # If a workload mostly uses anonymous memory and it hits this limit, the entire
# working set is buffered for I/O, and any more write buffering would require           # working set is buffered for I/O, and any more write buffering would require
# swapping, so it's time to throttle writes until I/O can catch up.  Workloads          # swapping, so it's time to throttle writes until I/O can catch up.  Workloads
# that mostly use file mappings may be able to use even higher values.                  # that mostly use file mappings may be able to use even higher values.
# The generator of dirty data starts writeback at this percentage (system default       # The generator of dirty data starts writeback at this percentage (system default
# is 20%)                                                                               # is 20%)
vm.dirty_ratio = 40                                                                   | vm.dirty_ratio=10

# Start background writeback (via writeback threads) at this percentage (system         # Start background writeback (via writeback threads) at this percentage (system
# default is 10%)                                                                       # default is 10%)
vm.dirty_background_ratio = 10                                                        | vm.dirty_background_ratio=3
                                                                                      <
# PID allocation wrap value.  When the kernel's next PID value                        <
# reaches this value, it wraps back to a minimum PID value.                           <
# PIDs of value pid_max or larger are not allocated.                                  <
#                                                                                     <
# A suggested value for pid_max is 1024 * <# of cpu cores/threads in system>          <
# e.g., a box with 32 cpus, the default of 32768 is reasonable, for 64 cpus,          <
# 65536, for 4096 cpus, 4194304 (which is the upper limit possible).                  <
#kernel.pid_max = 65536                                                               <

# The swappiness parameter controls the tendency of the kernel to move                  # The swappiness parameter controls the tendency of the kernel to move
# processes out of physical memory and onto the swap disk.                              # processes out of physical memory and onto the swap disk.
# 0 tells the kernel to avoid swapping processes out of physical memory                 # 0 tells the kernel to avoid swapping processes out of physical memory
# for as long as possible                                                               # for as long as possible
# 100 tells the kernel to aggressively swap processes out of physical memory            # 100 tells the kernel to aggressively swap processes out of physical memory
# and move them to swap cache                                                           # and move them to swap cache
vm.swappiness=10                                                                        vm.swappiness=10
                                                                                      >
                                                                                      > # The total time the scheduler will consider a migrated process
                                                                                      > # "cache hot" and thus less likely to be re-migrated
                                                                                      > # (system default is 500000, i.e. 0.5 ms)
                                                                                      > kernel.sched_migration_cost_ns=5000000

Top Bottom