XF 1.5 Huge (12GB) xf_search table as forum (330k posts) is swarmed by google bots.

Cassandra

My ~330k posts forum is being swarmed by google bots. I have about 300 of them connected to my site at any given moment.

Ever since I upgraded to 1.5.22 (now on 1.5.24) the xf_search table kept growing. Table is now 12GB. The daily clean up task is enabled, but it isn't helping, because if I understand correctly, the bots keep accessing it and creating new rows. This is likely the reason why I have very high CPU usage issues.

I'm not a MySQL girl... and I'm scared of destroying something. Can someone please explain (slowly) how to solve this?

Ever since I upgraded to 1.5.22 (now on 1.5.24) the xf_search table kept growing.
I don't think there was any major change that would cause that. Do you have any 3rd party add-ons that revolve around search system? If you're not sure, share the list of add-ons you have installed here or private conversation.

I'm not a MySQL girl... and I'm scared of destroying something. Can someone please explain (slowly) how to solve this?
The long term solution while assuming you're on a VPS/dedicated server is that you need to ask whoever manages your server to install elasticsearch/use AWS, purchase Enhanced Search from XenForo customers area, install the Enhanced Search and rebuild index.

Disable search to Guest.
Personally, I don't like any site that disables search for guest.

TLDR: For searching, MySQL bad and Elasticsearch good.

Top Bottom