1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 https for Xenforo

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by SnoSheriff, Dec 9, 2014.

1. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Active Member

I notice that XF resolves on https. Same goes for Google. How do I make this happen on my own website? What do I need to do? Thanks.
  2. tajhay

tajhay Well-Known Member

SSL certificate
  3. SnoSheriff

SnoSheriff Active Member

What are the steps required to make my XF website resolve at HTTPS
  4. MattW

MattW Well-Known Member

Buy a certificate, install it on your webserver, and then force all traffic to use HTTPS.
  5. Rum Runner Entertainment

Rum Runner Entertainment Active Member

I would just like to add on to what @MattW said, also make sure your images are all coming from links with SSL, or as an alternative, add your images to your DB. This will keep a secure connection. ;)
  6. Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf Well-Known Member

What happens if images are linked to from a non-secure connection?
  7. popowich

popowich Active Member

You'll need all of your plugins & settings using HTTPS links too, and verify the sitemap generator is creating HTTPS links too.

There are plenty of examples in Google to help create a .htaccess that rewrites HTTP to HTTPS

Also, FYI, you're going to take a hit while Google is reindexing your pages as HTTPS.

I haven't looked yet, any chance there is a XenForo guide somewhere for rewriting all of your posts so you internal linking is fixed from HTTP to HTTPS after the change? (backup your DB first!)

It's one of those things that we'll all probably need to do eventually. Google is already mentioning it but it's not a significant part of rankings yet.
    Lone Wolf likes this.
  8. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Enable the image proxy feature.
    Lone Wolf likes this.
  9. Brogan

The .htaccess rewrite will take care of them but otherwise you can do a simple query to replace the post content:
    UPDATE xf_post SET message = REPLACE(message,'current_content','new_content');
    Lone Wolf likes this.
  10. Lone Wolf

Thanks Brogan, I'm still not sure about switching over. Any reason CTA hasnt gone https yet?
  11. Brogan

I don't see the point of it for a small forum.

I couldn't care less about Google ranking, etc.
  12. Lone Wolf

Ok that makes sense, I'm looking to increase Google rank though so I guess it's the opposite for me.
  13. Rum Runner Entertainment

Rum Runner Entertainment Active Member

^ indeed. If you're running a small forum there really isn't a need for you to be running on an SSL certificate, but if you're storing credit card information or more valuable info, whatever that may be, that's what it's more on the lines.. Meant for.