How's everyone doing with SEO?

drastic

Are you ranking well? Are you doing blogs or articles with any of the addons and having success picking up ranks?

Just looking to see how people are doing with their ranks.

I haven't had much luck lately...

Nice! Getting listed is the easy part. Getting ranked is the challenge!

Lately it's moving pretty quick and getting news content ranked in such a short few hours to a day is super challenging!

I run a news site if anyone is ever interested in homepage link/blogroll type of exchanges.

I'm doing fine. When I checked the results it hasn't change much over the past few years. I have about 1.6M posts

View attachment 222683
Hi AndyB
Thanks for all the help and advice you have give me
I just put a plug for you forum on my forum
I know I have a few motorbike fans on mine.

Are you ranking well? Are you doing blogs or articles with any of the addons and having success picking up ranks?

We're doing okay really I think.
We get about 3m hits PCM but CTR rates = conversions to accounts are a bit low.
Here's what happens, people surf, people view, they register and delete = they find it all too unfamiliar or hard to use.I don't even understand why..
But most say too hard to use.
Hmm.

Getting signed up to a forum is difficult because it's unfamiliar and our general need for instant gratification is what users are used to.

They want to sign in right away and post something stupid for likes, and if they can't, they leave.

If there's a style or addon creator who can put the profile posts in a single page, as the opening page users see when they sign up - we will basically have a social media clone without doing very much - and still have all the great XF features as well.

Throw a fancy landing page on it with social media signon options for a seamless onboard, and there ya go.

Throw a fancy landing page on it with social media signon options for a seamless onboard, and there ya go.
Nothing from stopping you from creating a page node that serves as a landing page ("Home") that links a bunch of widgets together. :)

Works great on my site so that people interested in X can find it, Y is easily accessible, and so is Z. Our site is more of a portal with as many add ons that we have (blog, business directory, event calendar, forum, classifieds, media gallery).

Getting signed up to a forum is difficult because it's unfamiliar and our general need for instant gratification is what users are used to.

They want to sign in right away and post something stupid for likes, and if they can't, they leave.

If there's a style or addon creator who can put the profile posts in a single page, as the opening page users see when they sign up - we will basically have a social media clone without doing very much - and still have all the great XF features as well.

Sadly I think this is quite true.

Nothing from stopping you from creating a page node that serves as a landing page ("Home") that links a bunch of widgets together. :)

Works great on my site so that people interested in X can find it, Y is easily accessible, and so is Z. Our site is more of a portal with as many add ons that we have (blog, business directory, event calendar, forum, classifieds, media gallery).
Are you happy to and would you be as so kind to share for an example?

You're right, but I'm not really sure how to be honest.

The front end of my site is a custom video script, since video is the bulk of our content. BUT - the user features/aspects are not as great. Even registrations sometimes fail and the software isn't updated as often. Basically a money pit.

So I want to get this forum going, because the user features are really great and the conversation would be good - but I could not get anyone to sign up and participate. Everyone is so trained to see the social media style stuff on their screen.

Tell ya what, if I had the option to place adverts ON my video player with XF, I would look to get my entire site moved the heck over.

Hey @Siropu - can you place an ad on top of a video? Like using vast/vpaid or even a static image/code ad? I can inbox you an example.

I need a solid dev and designer tho, because there's some custom things I'd have to get done, but XF as a foundation would be ROCK SOLID for me, 100%

So Blogs and Articles will move a Website up Googles ranks?

I have always been curious, how exactly does Google determine the difference between a Thread, a Blog and an Article? On the surface they all seem to be very much the same, a container with text in it.

These days whatever website software/plugins etc. can add the schema.org markup which tells Google etc. what type of content.

However I don't think it's so much whether it's so ,much the type of content that causes any better or worse search results, it's mostly still down to the actual content, in bound links etc.

If you write an article or blog you are in control of the content. You can write nicley structured and engaging pieces of informative text, but with forum threads you aren't able to - it's all down to the users and very often the content of a thread is not well written, OT unfocussedness etc.

I have always been curious, how exactly does Google determine the difference between a Thread, a Blog and an Article? On the surface they all seem to be very much the same, a container with text in it.
I have some threads that outrank my blog posts and some blog posts that outrank my threads on the same topic in the top 5 for those keywords. It's really what Google determines a thread or blog post's value to be worth, I think. In my view, both have substance to rank, but, Google determines the thread better in some instances and the blog post in others.

I'll take the traffic in any form as it funnels through if you design your site correctly though.

I have some threads that outrank my blog posts and some blog posts that outrank my threads on the same topic in the top 5 for those keywords. It's really what Google determines a thread or blog post's value to be worth, I think. In my view, both have substance to rank, but, Google determines the thread better in some instances and the blog post in others.

I'll take the traffic in any form as it funnels through if you design your site correctly though.
So what causes some threads to outrank our blog posts? Is it simply the # of people that click on that specific thread that is counted?

I am just trying to wrap my head around this.

Is it simply the # of people that click on that specific thread that is counted?

No. Nobody knows for sure all the ins and outs but I think it's safe to say, Google looks for quality rather than quantity. They would be looking for well organised meaningful content, user engagement (ie how long they spend reading that page) inbound links, useability etc.

Reactions: frm
These days whatever website software/plugins etc. can add the schema.org markup which tells Google etc. what type of content.

However I don't think it's so much whether it's so ,much the type of content that causes any better or worse search results, it's mostly still down to the actual content, in bound links etc.

If you write an article or blog you are in control of the content. You can write nicley structured and engaging pieces of informative text, but with forum threads you aren't able to - it's all down to the users and very often the content of a thread is not well written, OT unfocussedness etc.

I had to look up what Schema.org markup was. From what I read so far it sounds like tags being added to HTML code on pages. I didn't see anything referring to Threads or photos (which is what my forum consists of, www.FocalWorld.com ) So how do these tags get added to threads and posts that are dynamic in nature?

r photos (which is what my forum consists of

Pages that consist mostly of photos will always be tricky getting google to index well. It is mostly based around text, semantics, information that it can analyse. It can analyse site architure, text structure, semantics, discussion about specific topics etc.

But it can't really tell if a joke is funny, or a photo is good.

I've never put much thought into SEO--my main concern was eight years ago when we converted to XF. I didn't want all of our vB links to suddenly go dead everywhere, but I was able to put an htaccess modification in place that redirected everyone, and never worried about it. Beyond that, I've done nothing. If I search for common discussion topics in the forum, we are usually within the top few spots on Google. And I don't even have to do anything. They're spidering our site quickly enough that it takes every little time for new threads and posts to be indexed. Have we slowed at all? No. In fact, in the past two years (and especially the last several weeks), activity has been way up. Then again, the forum has been around for 18 years and has a wide reputation.

Top Bottom