• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

How would you handle old duplicate content?

My forum has a bunch of RSS feed threads that I may be getting duplicate content penalties from. I've recently stopped publishing those feeds, and replaced with a more dynamic solution that doesn't leave residual dup content.

I'm not sure what to do about the old threads...

Do I simply delete these threads? Or, should I just leave them where they are?

Most are short threads with no replies, and there are 9,000+ of them in my forum...

What would you do?

PS: It just occurred to me that the XF forum doesn't have any place to discuss "Community Management" per say, unless I'm missing something....

Rob

Personally.... short threads with no replies that are essentially RSS content.... I would bin them.

I would set a very short life for RSS feed content if I used the feature - I dont yet but may do in the future.

I would suggest you to delete the threads which don’t have replies. Also replace the duplicate contents with new unique contents.

principia

I would suggest you to delete the threads which don’t have replies. Also replace the duplicate contents with new unique contents.
thats exactly what i do from time to time.
delete threads with no replies.
would be nice to have a function in the core for that :)

Rob

I think thread pruning options will make it into the core on a future upgrade. There are some 'thread prune' sql statements around the forums somewhere and I'm sure you could modify one of them to suit.

Hope this helps,

Rob

Thanks for the responses, I figured that was the right move. I've started moving the old content to a hidden forum where I can start deleting the junk.

I've also found a much better way to show RSS feeds without having duplicate content. I'm using Brogan's RSS feeder: http://xenforo.com/community/resources/add-an-rss-feed-block-to-the-sidebar.341/

Here is a raw version of the page: http://civilwartalk.com/pages/News/

The best part is that I can customize this feeder as a page and include custom content with the feed, it really looks great, and my members love it.