XF 1.5 How to stop users linking to offsite http images?

ak38

Hi guys,

On our forum https://FreeCannabis.com we are SSL secure which is an important feature and shows the padlock.

My question is how can i stop a user linking to a non secure image by clicking the image icon and linking it in a thread/post. When a user does this, the page shows with the info symbol rather than the padlock :/

I've only just realised this tonight so am going back through 50 or so pages to bring the images onsite so the pages show as secure.

Has anyone got any ideas how to mitigate the above as new users can understandably be apprehesive of any browser warnings.

Thanks

ACP > Options > Messages > Image and Link Proxy: tick 'Proxy Images'

This will cause the images to be cached and served by your website and preserve the SSL lock as you wish without forcing users to do something else.

This Add-on seems extraordinarily dangerous for legal reasons:
By using it you are effectively creating permanent copies of the images which are indefinitely being served from your servers, even if the source images do get modified o removed and you can never be sure that the user who posted the images does have the necessary rights to give you a license for such usage.
As a result you are at high risk being sued for copyright infringement, even higher than using the image proxy.
I therefore strongly recommend not to use any such technique, at least not within the EU.

It's not actually that small and there is a fundamental diefference between images that are just embedded/hotlinked and images that you serve directly.
Anyway, I just wanted to point out that it is dangerous as we've already had a couple cases that went to court.

there is a fundamental diefference between images that are just embedded/hotlinked and images that you serve directly.

If someone is bent on suing you, they will do so and how the image are served makes no difference.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that it is dangerous as we've already had a couple cases that went to court.

I just want to point out that you're the only forum admin that I have heard of that has been sued over image copyright issues.

If someone is bent on suing you, they will do so and how the image are served makes no difference.
It does make a difference. The EuGH (highest court in europe) has ruled that embedding images does not violate copyright.

I just want to point out that you're the only forum admin that I have heard of that has been sued over image copyright issues.
That might be because you are in the US, not Germany - copyright laws in europe are different :)
Dozens of forum owners have been sued over the years (before the EuGH ruling), here is an article from c't (one of Germany's largets computer magazines):
https://www.heise.de/ct/artikel/Abgekocht-291092.html

This is a report from "PlusMinus", a TV magazine by ARD dealing with consumer rights:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

At offset 01:48 you can see our CEO Carsten Grentrup at a trial in Hamburg for images that were posted by users on one of our forums.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter where the servers are located, german law always applies if the website is reachable from Germany.
So we would have to physically move the whole company and all employees - this is not possible.
Besides that we do respect the laws, hence why I said using such functionality is dangerous :)

Top Bottom