How to setup a second live site on the same server, configure it, then redirect to it once complete?

RobinHood

When 1.1 gold comes out I want to carry out a fresh install on my server, spend time re-installing at the latest plugins any template edits and test to make sure it's all working properly and then 'switch' from the old version of XF to the new install.

Can anyone advise how I can do this? I'm not sure if I can do it through editing DNS settings to point to one forum on the same server or not?

Or would it be as simple as creating the new forum and replacing all the old files with the new ones once it's ready? Providing all the db info is the same it will just work?

Are you already running XenForo?

If so, you won't be able to do a fresh installation and then import the content from the existing installation.

You won't have to.
Just mirror your site and upgrade xenforo to the latest build, and the plugins.
Clean out what you don't want.
You do NOT benefit from a fresh install with then imported data from another xenforo on top of it.

So I can't take a backup of the DB and install it to a fresh install?

I wanted to setup a clean install of the site on my server (I have a multi hosting plan if that helps so I can set it up using another account), so I can take my time to install the latest version of all the mods and carry out some new styling, make sure it's all working 100% without errors, then either upload/import a backup of the database and adjust some DNS settings to point the domain to the new version. Or do this some other way if possible (I'm really not sure what the best way of doing this would be)

The main reason I'm thinking about doing this is that I'm worried that if I carry out a normal upgrade to 1.1 and I have compatibility certain plugins or the portal, or theme issues. I don't have to stress out and rush to fix them and then there's no real downtime for the site. Perhaps I'm just worrying a bit too much about this?

You won't have to.
Just mirror your site and upgrade xenforo to the latest build, and the plugins.
Clean out what you don't want.
You do NOT benefit from a fresh install with then imported data from another xenforo on top of it.

Okay, so the mirroring bit is what I'm curious about. Server side what should I be doing to create the mirror and where shall I put it to work on it so that when it's ready I can switch over to it

So I can't take a backup of the DB and install it to a fresh install?
Everything except attachments and avatars is stored in the database, so you will just be replacing the fresh install with your existing install, including the style, configuration, add-ons installed, users, posts, etc.

The only way to do it is to upgrade your existing site.

If you want to test an upgrade before hand, create a test installation using your existing database. You can do that on your server or local PC.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-install-xenforo-locally-to-your-pc-using-xampp.8257/

Basically just backup your site, put it in a different directory. Restore the .sql dump into a new database.
Then point the mirror/ xenforo's config.php to this new database.
Finally go to mirror/admin.php and login, go to board info and change the values to the new location.

You now have the original one, and a mirror of it.

Please note that you must make your instance private, or purchase a second license.
Your license grants you permission to run one public instance and it's condoned to run a private development instance.

Top Bottom