How to set up an online location with a fixed url where users can upload files?

RobinHood

Okay,

So this isn't so much of a resource request yet, it's to see if I can get around my problem without the need for a resource.

I wan't to insert an image tag into specific notices so that a banner image displays in certain forums.

In this tag I want to have a fixed url to an image that doesn't change.

The mod for that forum can then somehow change the image by replacing the image file at the location linked to in the notice.

The question really, is how do I do that?

Ideally I'd want the image hosted on my server. I could possibly create an FTP account for each mod who can then connect and replace the image to their hearts content. Problem is that's really not very user friendly for non techy people.

Is there an alternative to FTP that could be used to do this?

Other options would be to possibly host the images elsewhere, like a dedicated image hosting site - but more often than not (as far as I'm aware), the url changes with every uploaded image, making that idea no good.

I though about creating a shared public dropbox folder too, but each mod everyone would have access to the images belonging to other mods, plus theres the hotlinking bandwidth issue, although DB does allows up to 10GB bandwidth a day.

The all else fails is to create a resource that allows mods admin access to only the notice system for the forum they moderate so they have full control over the notice. Although there's still the issue of hosting the image and we're back to the FTP or external hosting issue...

Any ideas how I can execute this?

Okay cool.

So could something be developed where a moderator is directed to a relevant upload page based on the node id of the forum they moderate, and they can then use the xenforo file uploader, combined with a php script to upload a file to their own private directory?

Okay cool.

So could something be developed where a moderator is directed to a relevant upload page based on the node id of the forum they moderate, and they can then use the xenforo file uploader, combined with a php script to upload a file to their own private directory?

Probably..... but ... I think you'd be best to use a standalone script that uses it's own uploader and you can style it to look like Xenforo.

Do some leg work and see if you can get an author of one of the better download scripts to tweak their script to work with xenforo permissions. Reference the multiple requests for a downloads addon from the xenforo forums as a sign of potential sales.

Top Bottom