XF 2.1 How to move user info from left to on top of posts?

I need to know how to move the user information from the left of posts to on top of posts. It should span the entire width of the postbit.

Can someone tell me how to do that? I’m a brand new xenForo user.

Thanks!

Can't do it without a custom style (can't think of the ones with this ability right now) or addon.

Call me wrong, but isn't that a default style property? :unsure:
I don't think it is directly, but if you set the Messages > Settings style property break point to something very wide you can fool it into showing the mobile responsive format (ie along the top) on desktop browser:

I'm not sure this would be the best or "correct" way but does show it should not be that difficult.

The message user info block properties doesn't seem to have any settings for this.

Reactions: frm
I don't think it is directly, but if you set the Messages > Settings style property break point to something very wide you can fool it into showing the mobile responsive format (ie along the top) on desktop browser:
Wouldn't this just move the name and user title? I believe you'd still need to tweak something to show messages, banners, etc.. But, not a bad "budget" idea.

I know what the O.P is asking for as its not too far off what VB3 (at least that version?) offered in that you could have all the informations either on the left side or above the post content itself. Unfortunately I cannot answer their question as I do not know the answer. :(

Actually I am going to post a screenshot of it "both ways" in VB3 (sorry) simply so that the difference is clear. But as above I do not know how to do this in Xenforo myself, sorry. Hopefully the difference in the identical posts will assist someone who can then assist you. :) :)

Obvious from 'combination screeenshot' hopefully but the top one is legacy/side informations view and the lower one is the top informations view:

side_vs_top_posting_informations_views.png

Wouldn't this just move the name and user title? I believe you'd still need to tweak something to show messages, banners, etc.. But, not a bad "budget" idea.

It should also move the banner to the top.

To display user info, this should do the trick in extra.less

Code:
@media (max-width: @xf-messageSingleColumnWidth)
{
        .message-userExtras
        {
            display:initial!important;
        }
}

Disclaimer:

This seems to work, but I can't vouch for whether or not it is the best way, or that it may break something else.

(but bear in mind this will also show the user info on mobiles, so will need some more extra.less if you don't want that)

Last edited:
Reactions: frm
View attachment 201505

I'm not sure this would be the best or "correct" way but does show it should not be that difficult.

The message user info block properties doesn't seem to have any settings for this.

That'd be the way I recommend. Can increase the number to 20k or more to catch UHD devices as well.

It should also move the banner to the top.

To display user info, this should do the trick in extra.less

Code:
@media (max-width: @xf-messageSingleColumnWidth)
{
        .message-userExtras
        {
            display:initial!important;
        }
}

Disclaimer:

This seems to work, but I can't vouch for whether or not it is the best way, or that it may break something else.

(but bear in mind this will also show the user info on mobiles, so will need some more extra.less if you don't want that)

So adding this to the above cuts the user info out from mobiles. I'm not sure it's ideal (I don't think it's wonderful practice to have to use !important) but it does seem to work

Code:
@media (max-width: @xf-responsiveNarrow)
{
        .message-userExtras
        {
            display:none!important;
        }
}

Last edited:
Top Bottom