XF 1.2 How to moderate posts from new users

Langtrees

Hi there,

I'm sorry if this is an add-on related question, I'm not sure if the feature is in stock XenForo or not. I'm wondering if it's possible to set all new posts from users with 1-10 posts, to be moderated? If so, where could I find this option? We're running XenForo 1.2.

Thanks!

Thanks for that quick response! We've been hunting through promotions - could I just clarify, does the permissions setting "Follow message moderation rules" basically mean "New posts must be moderated"? And ALLOW turns moderation on, Not Set (No) turns moderation off, for that user group?

Thanks for that quick response! We've been hunting through promotions - could I just clarify, does the permissions setting "Follow message moderation rules" basically mean "New posts must be moderated"? And ALLOW turns moderation on, Not Set (No) turns moderation off, for that user group?

Yes.

Create a user group that will be moderated and a user group that isn't moderated -- we'll call them Moderated Users and Established Users. You can make it so, for example, after members in Moderated Users get 25 posts, they're automatically promoted to Established Users.

The way I set it up was:

Zero Posters - Follow message moderation rules (Allow)

Then a promotion to catch them on their first post, and promote them to the next group up, where they won't be moderated:

New Members (1-25 Posts) - Follow message moderation rules (Not Set/No)

I just went in as a test user with zero posts, and made a first post. I didn't see any moderation for this post (where does post moderation appear?) and now my test user has both ranks! How can I set this up better?

Note: in the screenshot, "New Member" is the 1-25 Posts group.

Thanks everyone.

Promotion.webp

Last edited:

Brogan, thanks. I read through it carefully before posting, I just feel I'm missing something.

We want to have a tiered permissions system, like:

Zero Posts
1-25 Posts
50+ Posts

At the moment, if someone gets promoted from 1-25 Posts to 50+ Posts, won't they end up having both ranks? (see screenshot above). Also, where do posts awaiting moderation appear?

I'm not sure what you mean by ranks as XenForo doesn't use that concept.
User group banners can be stacked or just the highest priority one can be displayed.

Post awaiting moderation appear in the mod queue.
You must be a moderator and have the relevant permissions to access it.

My colleague above writes nicely and talks in IT language. I am a silly older woman, and can't for the life of me find the moderation queue. Could you please point me in the right direction. Your help has been useful - we made a few mistakes, such as moderating the higher groups instead of the lower groups - so now I can see individual user posts that say they're awaiting moderation, but can't find them. -MA@Langtrees

Reading through the how to on this: https://xenforo.com/help/user-group-promotions/

Just want to clarify before I set this up.

If I follow those instructions exactly and do this as it says:

For the criteria, select User has posted at least X messages and enter a value of 5.

Is that criteria based on 5 "Approved" posts or any 5 posts whether approved or still in mod queue? Only reason I ask is if all posts are counted a spammer could post 100 times and break through the 5 post criteria and get promoted. It is just unclear under the criteria because it says "Users has posted at least X messages" and not "User has posted at least X approved messages"

thanks

Top Bottom