Resource icon

How to harmlessly customize any free/paid style

CyberAP

CyberAP submitted a new resource:

How to harmlessly customize any free/paid style - Updating and customizing styles made easy with a few clicks

1. Install original style on your forum using instructions provided by the author of the style.
  2. Go to your styles list in AdminCP and find your style. Click on its title.
  3. Add «original» in the end of the title. Save.
  4. Now click «+ Create new style» button.
  5. Сall your new style as you like, but I suggest to call it the same way author called his style.
  6. Set your original style as a «Parent style». Save.
  7. Now you have 2 styles. Your original style will be used only for...

Read more about this resource...

Also if you have a style with a framework then the framework is your parent style and the same rules apply. Make changes to the style and not the framework.

So I customized a style on one site without doing this. The core style is now updated, is there any way I can update my theme without losing custom edits? I know it was an idiot move and could really use some help.

So I customized a style on one site without doing this. The core style is now updated, is there any way I can update my theme without losing custom edits? I know it was an idiot move and could really use some help.
You need to export your style from AdminCP and compare it with your original style in any text editor. Then apply all your edits again in an empty style, then set it as a child of your updated original style.

Also if you have a style with a framework then the framework is your parent style and the same rules apply. Make changes to the style and not the framework.
In that case here is the structure: Framework → Original style → Your custom style.
The latest is where you do all the edits because original style also can change.

Top Bottom