1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get started with installing elastic search

Discussion in 'Enhanced Search Support' started by reddy ink, Dec 19, 2015.

1. reddy ink

reddy ink Active Member

So far I have installed the add-on and enabled Elastic Search.

Nothing is happening?

Do I need to program or set something else?
    What are : Elasticsearch Server Details?

Is there a step by step guide for non programmers.

Message on options
    Elasticsearch does not appear to be running but is enabled as the search system.

Message when I search
    XenForo_Exception: Elasticsearch server returned no response. Is it running? - library/XenES/Search/SourceHandler/ElasticSearch.php:878

Last edited: Dec 19, 2015
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

3. jeffwidman

jeffwidman Active Member

That guide is pretty outdated and not what I'd recommend someone use. I'm also not sure that Floren keeps the Axivo repo updated, but that's a risk anytime you're using a repackaged repo rather than the source.

These days, ElasticSearch itself has solid repo with solid defaults for ES v2, so I'd suggest starting there and following their guides for Debian/Ubuntu or RHEL/CentOS. The defaults are pretty sane, you'll likely want to set the number of shards to 1 and the replicas to 0, and adjust ES_MAX_HEAP_SIZE based on the size of your forum/server.

ES v2 also changed the default so localhost connections are the only ones allowed unless you specify otherwise, so out of the box it's significantly more secure.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2015
    HWS likes this.