1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.4 How to disable / de-activate a users account

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Sim, Nov 20, 2014.

1. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

I often have members asking me to delete / disable / de-activate their user accounts.

On vBulletin I have a user group set up which does a similar thing to how we would set up a banned user group - they basically can't do anything on the site except view content.

I also delete all of their subscriptions so they no longer get email notifications about things.

I'm after suggestions on a checklist of things I should do when I disable an account in XenForo to make sure people no longer receive any emails from the site and can no longer change their profile or post or send messages etc.

I have had users come back after months/years and ask me to reactivate their accounts, so I will need to be able to reverse the operation (other than restoring thread/forum subscriptions - that's not going to happen).

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Add them to a user group which prevents anything except viewing.
    Change their user state to Email invalid (bounced).

Or just tell them to change their email address, log out and not return. That's what I do.

marcv, Ketola and Floyd R Turbo like this.
  3. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

First suggestion: Edit user > Actions > Managed Watched Threads > Disable email notification

Other than watched threads, under what other circumstances would a user receive emails from the forum?

4. Sim

Sim Well-Known Member

Can I assume that the forum will never try to send email to users in this state under any circumstances?

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Correct.