How to block Adblock?

I think I need a bit of help with this. When I click a thread on my forum, initially it loads both the Ad and the Adblock notice below it. When I refresh the same thread page, the adblock notice disappears. This is when I have ad-block disabled so the notification should not appear. If I continuously refresh, the notification may appear a few times. Is this something to do with the javascript not loading properly? I have repeated this with the javascript inserted into templates such as ad_header and ad_above_top_breadcrumb. My forum is www.christianforumsite.com.

I think I need a bit of help with this. When I click a thread on my forum, initially it loads both the Ad and the Adblock notice below it. When I refresh the same thread page, the adblock notice disappears. This is when I have ad-block disabled so the notification should not appear. If I continuously refresh, the notification may appear a few times. Is this something to do with the javascript not loading properly? I have repeated this with the javascript inserted into templates such as ad_header and ad_above_top_breadcrumb. My forum is www.christianforumsite.com.
Yes that's what I reported to Jaxel few days ago: http://xenforo.com/community/thread...f-ad-block-detection.56603/page-2#post-692094

I really like the Smart Sizing :)
No I don't want to use advance :)

Really. I used both and they looked and functioned similar. :) Is there an advantage to using Smart Sizing as opposed to Advanced?

By the way, I now allow text ads and I sent a request to AdBlock Plus to white-list my domain because it now falls under their 'Non Intrusive' advertising category. I might lose some revenue from rich media ads but if that could be offset by the extra traffic I receive as a result of my domain being white-listed, it may well be worth it.

Last edited:

I don't suppose either of you found a solution to this?

I like the way @digitalpoint implemented on his Forum.
Hopefully he can share it with us :)

Judging by the fact the error used to appear when my step dad blocked certain keywords from being accessed through the router, I believe they just check for any parts that fail to load correctly.

It was a pain... Adblock disabled but an error still there. Although the web blocking was also annoying...

For me, it's not about people blocking ads... Personally I really could not care less if they block ads. But where it *does* become an issue for me is when people use ad blockers and then it becomes a support issue for me because those ad blockers break parts of the site that those users are trying to use.

Basically, I just tell them that parts of the site failed to load (for whatever reason).

upload_2014-1-30_16-38-22.webp

And then links them to this post that shows a bunch of examples of parts of the site that break because of poorly designed "ad" blockers... https://forums.digitalpoint.com/threads/parts-of-site-failed-to-load.2686797/#post-18760201

Again... *I* don't care about the ad blocking part... but the site breaking part that causes me to have to spend time doing support for users (and the issues ultimately are caused by the user running an ad blocker addon) is where I have issue.

I tried this, members went crazy, never again.

This was my experience as well. It became prohibitive and I came to the conclusion that I'd rather have posters who use adblockers active on the site than angry and alienated.

People are incredible. Some feel that free isn't free enough and when you give them a gentle nudge, they get offended.

However, I'm going to test this with basic html code for an affiliate banner instead of a notice.

Top Bottom