How To Access Server From The Internet?

DRE

How do you access your home computer/server from the internet through an online server?

I am doing this from Mountain Lion 10.8 Server

macserver.webp

Depends on your ISP (some block this by default) and also depends if you have open ports on your router and also your computer.

You're in America, right? If Comcast or Time Warner .... Forget about it ... You'll need a business class package.

This is actually for me :/

but I have at&t uverse, but all my devices are connected through my airport extreme
At&t ... God ....

DSLreports.com

Best place to help you. Basically a forum where all they do is talk about ISP (Internet Service Providers).

The key point here is you're trying to run a home server from home, connect to it from another server on the internet ...ie... Be your own host. A LOT of American ISP's prevent you from doing exactly that.

Depends on your ISP (some block this by default) and also depends if you have open ports on your router and also your computer.

You're in America, right? If Comcast or Time Warner .... Forget about it ... You'll need a business class package.
Oh okay I'd have to look that up then. finefine asked me this and I also wanted to know the answer too because I am buying a Mac very soon.I'm looking for an active Mac forum to join that runs xenforo software. Do you know of any?

Oh okay I'd have to look that up then. Finefine on xenforo, asked me this and I also wanted to know the answer too because I am buying a Mac very soon.I'm looking for an active Mac forum to join that runs xenforo software. Do you know of any?
Mac forum that runs XenForo .......

.......... Can someone please donate me another copy of XenForo so I can use this idea.... :p

No, I don't know anyone who does at this time. There is an original thought.

I hate at&t too.. but my only other option is satellite or time warner. and those are a Major NO... stupid ass Verizon FIOS (which I really want) isn't available in my city.

At&t ... God ....

DSLreports.com

Best place to help you. Basically a forum where all they do is talk about ISP (Internet Service Providers).

The key point here is you're trying to run a home server from home, connect to it from another server on the internet ...ie... Be your own host. A LOT of American ISP's prevent you from doing exactly that.

damn it... sigh.
I'm missing something here to do what i need to do.

Mac forum that runs XenForo .......

.......... Can someone please donate me another copy of XenForo so I can use this idea.... :p

No, I don't know anyone who does at this time. There is an original thought.
Here's one http://themacforum.net/

but when I say active... I mean ACTIVE as in at least some people online. This forum I linked has no one online at all.

I hate at&t too.. but my only other option is satellite or time warner. and those are a Major NO... stupid ass Verizon FIOS (which I really want) isn't available in my city.
I feel your pain. My choices are only Comcast Cable, Verzion DSL, or Satellite which is just about as fast / slow as Dial up.

You're most likely going to need to upgrade to a business plan. Surprisingly some of those business plans are about the same price as the home plans, so typically you're not going to need to pay to much more. But shop around... They'll always try to charge you a higher tier plan.

I recommended DSLreports.com because not only do people go there.... So do the ISP's. Can talk to everyone from customer to provider directly and have people weigh in on it (I've been a member for over 5 years, OldSchoolDSL).

I'm not 100% sure about At&t at the moment, because they seem to change often. And I know their support is a pain in the a** from what I've heard. You're better off asking people who may know more than I do.

I feel your pain. My choices are only Comcast Cable, Verzion DSL, or Satellite which is just about as fast / slow as Dial up.

You're most likely going to need to upgrade to a business plan. Surprisingly some of those business plans are about the same price as the home plans, so typically you're not going to need to pay to much more. But shop around... They'll always try to charge you a higher tier plan.

I recommended DSLreports.com because not only do people go there.... So do the ISP's. Can talk to everyone from customer to provider directly and have people weigh in on it (I've been a member for over 5 years, OldSchoolDSL).

I'm not 100% sure about At&t at the moment, because they seem to change often. And I know their support is a pain in the a** from what I've heard. You're better off asking people who may know more than I do.
Ya'll are lucky you even have a choice. I only have one high speed internet provider available to me because I'm in the boondocks.

Ya'll are lucky you even have a choice. I only have one high speed internet provider available to me because I'm in the boondocks.
Oh, you have no idea how much though I wish Verizon Fios would add service in my area. I do sympathise though... I know the feeling of being limited.

Imagine the guy living next door to your right, left, and front and back (..ie.. everyone around you), all having high speed, but for some oversight, your address only allows for Dial up. I've been in that spot. Something about my address being 1 address to far from every node in every direction.

You're either going to need as mentioned above, being a static IP (business type connection / dedicated IP) or setup a dynamic DNS via your router. It also depends on whether your router has a DMZ connection that you can set in your router. If not... you will need a newer router or bridge it into an older computer, using it as a firewall configuration for your other systems, doing the same thing, one being a DMZ and the other secure internal LAN.

You're either going to need as mentioned above, being a static IP (business type connection / dedicated IP) or setup a dynamic DNS via your router. It also depends on whether your router has a DMZ connection that you can set in your router. If not... you will need a newer router or bridge it into an older computer, using it as a firewall configuration for your other systems, doing the same thing, one being a DMZ and the other secure internal LAN.
A few years ago, all the major ISP's (Internet Service Providers) blocked you from doing just that; using a home connection package. Now technically as you noted, there are some ways around it. But they also updated their TOS (Terms of Service) that they have the right to disconnect you if you're caught doing it.

These days it's not hard to tell if an IP is residential or business. And it only takes 1 single "bad visitor" to do an IP trace, learn you're using a home connection, and contact your ISP.... Believe me, it happens.

All the above sucks in my opinion, but it is what it is at the moment. She'll need a business package. Which may bring down her download speed a little, but will also bring up her upload speeds; which is what really is needed for hosting anything.

Top Bottom