How to access Custom thread field

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone.

I know this is probably the wrong section, but since I am evaluating xenForo and am not a licensed member yet I am asking here.

I added a Custom thread field and could see it within the first post of the thread. Now I would like to use it within a html widget in the sidebar. But I did not manage access the variable value. Does anybody know how to access that value?

I tried with {{dump($xf.thread)}} and {{dump($thread)}} but the returned value is always null. But when I use {{dump($xf.visitor.Profile)}} and search for the field value I can see it within the "XFMG\XF\Entity\Thread"-array. So it seems to be somewhere. Any suggestions?

Thank you all.

Solution
But only at the 3 given display locations:
Alright, Alright I found a way to access the $thread variable within the HTML widget. lol
Here is the way :D
{{ dump({$context.thread}) }}

I totally forgot the $context, my bad!
And there is a Box around the content which one can not get rid of I suppose?
I think actually, you can.
alxpc7G.png

You use wrapper display HTML and you will get rid of that box. (haven't tested that before)
$thread == null means you are in the wrong template, $thread entity has a field named custom_fields so it's supposed to be accessible wherever you have $thread entity

you should be able to call getCustomFields() too. {{ dump($thread.getCustomFields()) }}

and this {{ dump($thread.CustomFields) }}

Last edited:
Thank you for the quick response!
But in the widget there is only one textarea called "template". I cannot put the code somewhere else.

Under "Display in positions" I checked "Thread view: Above messages" and "Thread view: Sidebar" for example (both is null).

Thank you for the quick response!
But in the widget there is only one textarea called "template". I cannot put the code somewhere else.

Under "Display in positions" I checked "Thread view: Above messages" and "Thread view: Sidebar" for example (both is null).
Which widget are we talking about? if $thread is null, it means that the widget has no access to the $thread variable. it's in a different scope

It's a custom widget "Appearance --> Widgets --> add Widget --> Widget definition = HTML".
So this basically means I cannot use a $thread variable within the widget?
Hmm, widgets are supposed to be loaded in everywhere. so they have to have their own scope.
Imagine if the user is viewing a different page other than thread view, what would be the value of the $thread variable? they are not designed to work that way.
So.. you'll have to create a custom add-on for that. These HTML widgets are not the correct way to access entities. You can only access $xf and there is no link to the current $thread in it.

I think it works!

• Before message
  • After message
  • Thread status block

Just FYI:
We will discuss stocks. So every stock beeing discussed in its own topic. The custom field is the ticker symbol. The ticker symbol can be integrated in a tradingview widget so it looks like this:

shareprice.webp

Alright, Alright I found a way to access the $thread variable within the HTML widget. lol
Here is the way :D
{{ dump({$context.thread}) }}

I totally forgot the $context, my bad!
I think actually, you can.
alxpc7G.png

You use wrapper display HTML and you will get rid of that box. (haven't tested that before)

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom