1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How soon will you go live after beta-release?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by HenrikHansen, Sep 21, 2010.

1. HenrikHansen

HenrikHansen Well-Known Member

When do you plan to go "live" with a new site after you get your fingers in the software?

We have seen Kiers "we do not recommend using beta version on production sites". Yeah
    right, Kier, I may have some interesting ideas that just wait on your release, and after that, 1, 2, 3, GO! :D. And for 100 dollars only, I cannot afford not to try some ideas.

2. Carlos

Carlos Well-Known Member

Immediately. For those un-launched websites.

3. Lee

Lee Well-Known Member

When the first stable release comes out, I have it working how I want and I have my theme ported over / my members are comfortable using this software. I will not rush anything.

4. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

Near immediately. As long as it takes me to complete the download process, install it, setup the forum and permission structure, legal, FAQ, etc... and it will be live. I would say two days... tops.

5. Caelum

Caelum Well-Known Member

Soon as an IPB 3.0.x -> XF converter is available. Until then I'll be working on the theme for that same forum on a test install :)

6. Onimua

Onimua Well-Known Member

How soon? Probably a month or two; I need to get used to writing modifications with it, and work on getting used to the styling system XF has.

7. Poltergeist

Poltergeist Active Member

I have a vB site I took down to use the license for something else. So I'll be loading it on the down site within a few days. Stable or unstable I won't care too much if the site crashes or has problems. If it has problems I'll learn more about xF while fixing it.

8. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

Step by step.
    1. Install in an other directory on my private domain und protect it with .htaccess
    2. Import from the current vB3-database to xF-Database
    3. Then I "play" and explore xF and translate the frontend partially
    4. After release "Gold" and update current database I open the forum

That's the general plan for me. ;)

9. James

James Well-Known Member

My plan is to install it locally to play with it. Configure it to how I want, upload it, launch it.

10. Lycaon

Lycaon Well-Known Member

I'll just give her a good fondling whilst I wait for gold.

11. James

James Well-Known Member

Ambiguity alert.

12. Jethro

Jethro Well-Known Member

+1 Assuming an upgrade path for future Betas, final.

We would need to ensure our primary skin is converted, and we can load our existing db. Of course we might just jump on our new project and go for broke :)

13. Facepalmx2

Facepalmx2 Active Member

Create a design (should be easy from what we've all seen), make a few modifications and release after heavy testing. Probably two weeks, at minimum.

14. Booth

Booth Well-Known Member

10 minutes, then cry because my members don't get It and want vb3 back... (sigh)

Forum members just don't like change.

The swines...

CFodder likes this.
  15. Mayers

Mayers Member

I'm installing xenforo on a new site so chances are it won't go live officially until the RC stages most likely.

16. TheComputerGuy

TheComputerGuy Active Member

I will install it on my new site I'm launching.

Then wait until others SCREAM with envy.....I'm ON XENFORO BABY!!

17. Mr_Bob

Mr_Bob Well-Known Member

It depends for me. Once I get XF installed and run some tests, such as a mock VB import, I need to style everything to be similar to the Wordpress skin I'm working on (that isn't even really done yet). I want to launch XF when I launch the new version of my site. Time, well, anywhere from a few weeks to a few months (depending on time I can commit).

18. 0ptima

0ptima Well-Known Member

This is what I will be doing.

19. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

I'm going to start on a new site immediately and see what my current site looks like imported to xF.

If this is alpha, I can't imagine what Gold will be like. :)

Anthony Parsons likes this.
  20. CFodder

CFodder Well-Known Member

Will setup XF on a test database, get the theme right and see where we go from there. If it's how we want it won't matter if it's in beta or gold we'll go for it :).