How much server memory for 200 users online?

Claudio

I would like to know how much server memory I need to 100 users online.

I also will host 1 vbulletin forum with 100 online users and one XF forum with 70 online users.

I was wondering to sign up on hostgator for a basic dedicate server with 2gb. Do I need more?

I will install nginx and ACP on the server, for both forums

2gb should be more than enough memory.

Honestly though, I would look into a vps before a dedicated server.

actually I have my sites hosted on a vps and they are running very slow

2gb for 200 online users really should be fine? I cant believe it! o_O

I can't believe it either lol. Because we use to have it and it was slow at times (with Apache). However there's a big difference between Apache and nginx regarding memory use.

I can't believe it either lol. Because we use to have it and it was slow at times (with Apache). However there's a big difference between Apache and nginx regarding memory use.
ooops, today on my actual vps:
252 users online on the vbulletin4 forum
using apache...

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E7500 @ 2.93GH
3.2 GB ram

I would like to know how much server memory I need to 100 users online.

I also will host 1 vbulletin forum with 100 online users and one XF forum with 70 online users.

I was wondering to sign up on hostgator for a basic dedicate server with 2gb. Do I need more?

I will install nginx and ACP on the server, for both forums
VB4 Suite - about 200 users online. nginx+apache2+libphp5+xcache - 512 Mb RAM
XF is not monster as VB4 :)
If you use 2 or more forums on one server, need more memory: about 512 Mb for first forum and + 100-200 Mb per forum for additional (in the core for magnification of the size of a cache). It is a configuration for small forums (100-200 thousand posts and about 100-200 users online).

P.S. The server in a cloud with 8th processors. The maximum loading - 36 %.

VB4 Suite - about 200 users online. nginx+apache2+libphp5+xcache - 512 Mb RAM
XF is not monster as VB4 :)
If you use 2 or more forums on one server, need more memory: about 512 Mb for first forum and + 100-200 Mb per forum for additional (in the core for magnification of the size of a cache). It is a configuration for small forums (100-200 thousand posts and about 100-200 users online).
wow, so the actual vps is not so well optimized :cautious: 1gb can do magic

Well if you use a control panel 2GB would be optimal.

Two forums and a control panel on 1GB would be tough.

In theory VDS refers to fully isolated virtual machine (VM). VPS is a virtual environment and it can be created trough os virtualization for example.
Now term VDS designate Dedicated Server which represents the allocated server in a cloud is more often. In general a difference in virtualization.

In theory VDS refers to fully isolated virtual machine (VM). VPS is a virtual environment and it can be created trough os virtualization for example.
Now term VDS designate Dedicated Server which represents the allocated server in a cloud is more often. In general a difference in virtualization.

Things such as OpenVZ and Parallel's Virtuozzo create virtual environments, and are dependant on the host OS, however, other technologies such as Xen and indeed VMware, completely virtualise the server.

Unfortunately, people attribute VPS to both types, and VDS/VPS do confuse people.

The performance difference, however, between both types are minimal at best.

Ok.

All depends on a hoster. If it fairly describes a difference between VPS and VDS or specifies VPS/VDS | Dedicated with such hoster it is possible to work safely. Otherwise it is necessary to be guided only by the prices. If for hoster VPS and VDS are various, also the prices there will differ strongly. And if the price one the hoster does not distinguish them.
Concerning productivity OpenVZ and Xen - the difference can be considerable as in the latter case there are minimum and maximum boundaries of productivity and storage. Accordingly, it is possible расчитывать on the big productivity Xen.
Also it is impossible to forget that servers with environment virtualization as a rule service much more an amount of users, than servers with the full virtualization. It also strongly affects productivity.

Top Bottom