How many forums do you own/operate? and do you make a living from them?

CTXMedia

GeeksKickAss will be my second forum, and I'm considering opening a few more this year - so I just wondered how many forums most of you have?

Do you have people who help you run them?

Any "paid" staff on your boards?

And do any of you run forums full-time - is it your main source of income?

Cheers,
Shaun :D

a. I have one forum right now (and administrate another non-XF forum).
b. Yep; one member has been particularly helpful with server setup and other things I don't understand very well. :P
c. No...we'll split any profits, but I don't foresee any right away, lol.
d. Well, it's my only source of income, but that's only because I'm not currently employed, haha.

p.s. Is your site based on everything geeky, haha, or is there a focused theme of discussion? :)

nccbmwcca.org all me income for maintaining it
318ti.org some mods, adsense and site supporters for income. Meets the bills and a little extra
bronxroots.com me alone but haven't really promoted it
bavforums.com me alone and I haven't promoted it
lovemyjrt.com shared responsibilities with 3 others

That's it. Just 5.

I used to run 3 forums at a time....but now I own and operate 4 forums at the moment.

mw2forums
mw2boards
mvc3forum
and my networked forum; CarlosX360 which at the moment is offline.

Oh, and I forgot that I recently purchased www.codforums.com and administrate it.

I also administrate a Halo forum, which will eventually be purchased by moi.

So, in total, that'd be 6. :)

Own 1 forum that I haven't really started to promote yet.
Co-operate lovemyjrt.com with Steven S (above) and 2 others.

p.s. Is your site based on everything geeky, haha, or is there a focused theme of discussion? :)

My intention, once I get it up and running, is to cover a wide range of geek things, not just IT/computing, but engineering, sciences, space, etc.

Ideally though, I'd like the membership to decide and expand the forums selection as there is a demand for it.

Oh, and thanks for the answers so far - it's interesting to know what sort of commitments other people have/make and whether it's a viable occupation.

Cheers,
Shaun

My intention, once I get it up and running, is to cover a wide range of geek things, not just IT/computing, but engineering, sciences, space, etc.

Ideally though, I'd like the membership to decide and expand the forums selection as there is a demand for it.

Oh, and thanks for the answers so far - it's interesting to know what sort of commitments other people have/make and whether it's a viable occupation.

Cheers,
Shaun
Sounds good! :D Let me know when it opens. :)

I have 2 forums. Neither pay my bills. I just started the second one last week and am trying to figure out the best way of marketing it.

We can exchange links for Dallas on our JRT site.

I'm serious when I say both thank you and that I wasn't trolling for traffic. At least not here.
wink.png

I only have one right now, but I plan on searching the web for forums with the most user traffic. I plan on purchasing one at first, but eventually have a few dozen high traffic forum sites which I will monetize with advertizing and cross promote from each other.

I won't actually do anything to improve the communities, I'll just drive them into the ground. When that starts to die, I'll take the money I've sucked off the sites like a bloated leech and use it to purchase a software company. I'll use my same model - successful for syphoning off funds, but terrible for the people using - to ruin the software company.

If anyone dares leave and attempt to build a qaulity product to compete with my software before its inevitable demise, I will fraudulently and frivilously sue them for having a broken axe handle. Why "a boken axe handle" you ask? Because when its nothing more than a flimsy excuse, any excuse will do, no matter how nonsensical.

"Pleased to meet you. Hope you guessed my name. But whats puzzling you is the nature of my game."

I created what eventually became one of the world's most active motorcycle forums, but sold it a few years ago just before the motorcycle industry plummeted. The monthly infrastructure costs were greater than my mortgage, but it supported itself (and then some). I miss running the site, but believe it was a good decision.

My goal is to build a new set of communities that operate more efficiently and reach close-knit groups. The current traffic is but a fraction of what I used to support, but the monthly revenue pays for the infrastructure costs (and then some). I've spent the last two years driving-down costs and developing more efficient ways to maintain security/stability but yet continue to delight my users.

Top Bottom