How long have you been running forums?

How long have you been running forums?

• Total voters
Started off in 1989 using a software called MajorBBS (a DOS based system), which then morphed into WorldGroup (still a DOS based system), then moved to phpBB, then VB and now to xF within the last month.
Much respect to the guy who has been at it for around 25 years. In comparison, I've a real newcomer, with only 5 years under my belt. I do take it quite seriously and am currently working full time, having incorporated along the way, but there is no substitute for experience in your field.

Started off in 1989 using a software called MajorBBS (a DOS based system), which then morphed into WorldGroup (still a DOS based system), then moved to phpBB, then VB and now to xF within the last month.

That's quite some time! Is the forum still going? What's the URL?

I remember the bulletin boards on the Amiga, but thankfully, I did not start any up back then! They are too time consuming :p

There has been some downtime in between software.

The MajorBBS, WorldGroup ran from 1989 to 2008. We went from a primarily dial-up BBS with two lines to an internet connected system. The software was developed by a very forward thinking developer Tim Stryker, who put together a very talented team.

The support team and operators of that software were a very close-knit group and provided excellent support. (Much like the xF community today)

The two big BBS packages then were MajorBBS/WorldGroup and Mustang BBS. We about 1,000 members which as a good number back then.

Tim passed away at an early age and the company lost its direction.

The software didn't keep up with technology and we lost our users.

About 5 years ago, I tried setting up a community with phpBB and found more spammers signing up than members and I spent more time getting rid of spammers than building up a community. It lasted for about a year.

Last year I came across VB 5.05 and installed it and starting building another community. The problem with sustaining this group is that members expected to be notified (alerts) by email on updates/replies and VB did not send those alerts out. Right after New Year's I came across xF and researched it and the user community.

Had to start from scratch as I could not find an importer to bring in VB 5.05 users, forums, etc to XenForo 1.22.

So we're back in the game and building. I'm involved with a several organizations and out team is developing forums to offer resources to members of those groups.

About 11 years now. Started on a PHPNuke forum, lost everything, and started again on phpBB2. I still administer the site, even though it's pretty dead now days. My own site running XenForo has been running 8 years as of 31st January.

About 11 years now. Started on a PHPNuke forum, lost everything, and started again on phpBB2. I still administer the site, even though it's pretty dead now days. My own site running XenForo has been running 8 years as of 31st January.

Lost everything. Been there - done that. Did you have problems with the spammers trying to access to your php system?

Lost everything. Been there - done that. Did you have problems with the spammers trying to access to your php system?
No, it was the host who just turned everything off and vanished. We were hacked on phpBB2 (2.0.17 IIRC), but luckily he wasn't malicious and didn't do any damage. We also lost about 8 months of posts again due to shared hosting going missing, and having to restore from an old backup (that was all before I started doing the hosting myself).

Almost 20 years now... My most popular website was at it's peak, the #6 most visited website on the entirety of the internet... 1999 was a different time man...

Excellent. What platform were you running?

8 Years. I changed from one of those free forum hosting to phpbb (2006) > vBulletin (2007) > Xenforo (2010). Next... I plan on investing into Xenforo stocks if team KAM ever think of taking their company public. :D

Top Bottom