1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How good/extensible is customisation abilities for developers?

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by linkandzelda, Apr 6, 2015.

1. linkandzelda

linkandzelda Member

I am thinking about using XenForo for a forum, however the forum I imagine has many customisations and non-standard things in it. I would like to use XenForo as a "base", and develop a bunch of addons for the features I have in mind. Many of these features are specific to the area that the forum will cover.

My question is, how extensible is the addon system? How far can I go with addon development in terms of utilising existing site functions or overriding them completely? For example, if I would like to create a system to allow users to choose from a selection of avatars to apply to their account, but to have different avatars for different user groups, is that possible? Or if I would like to change the login method to add [insert custom login service here]? Or, if I want people to be shown a page before their post is added with perhaps a question/verification or something on it (just an example), how easy/hard is that?

Hopefully people get the idea I'm trying to ask, if not I can be more specific if needed.
    I was trying to find an official addon documentation but was not able to find it.

Thanks in advance
  2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Provided you have the relevant skill, as extensible as you want.

Yes, it would be.

Yes, there are several add-ons which do that already, if I'm not mistaken.

That would be relatively simple.

For any specific development questions, you can post in the dedicated forum: https://xenforo.com/community/forums/xenforo-development-discussions.34/
  3. linkandzelda

linkandzelda Member

Hello Brogan,

Thank you for the fast response, this is what I wanted to hear! Thank you very much.