How Do You Pronounce 'Either'?

How Do You Pronounce 'Either'?

• Ee-ther (ee-dhər)

Votes: 21 87.5%
  • Eye-ther (eye-dhər)

Votes: 3 12.5%

• Total voters

James

It's a curious little word, the pronunciation differs. How do you pronounce either?
Ee-ther or eye-ther (or in Wikipedia terms: ee-dhər or eye-dhər)

I personally seem to vary between both, with no reason as to why :rolleyes:

If you use both, just put your preferred/most used option as the vote.

Depends on the context, which probably depends on other vowel sounds surrounding the word since I don't think there is any grammatical reason for the varying pronunciations.

Depends on the context, which probably depends on other vowel sounds surrounding the word since I don't think there is any grammatical reason for the varying pronunciations.
I use both as well, and it does seem to follow the words that surround it.

"I don't like it"
"Either do I" (the formal form of "Me either")

Does that sound odd to you? It should.

As for 'this or that' situations:
"Which one do you like"
"Neither one" (I don't like both of them)
or
"Either one" (I like both)

I'm not a strictly grammatical myself, but I seem to have a sensitivity what's correct or incorrect.

The whole neither/either argument can get confusing, but whenever someone says "Me either", they're put into the same category as those who use 'then' for 'than', and 'there' for 'they're' (or 'there' for 'their'), etc.

Both are informal, so it's silly to suggest one is more grammatically correct than the other.
But one is nonsense, so if you want to make a negative impression, go for it. Someday you'll make a negative impression on the wrong person, affecting your entire life. But young folks don't usually worry about that until it's too late. ;)

In the whole time that I have worked, I have never met anyone who would have based their full impression of a person on their linguistic skills, or how correct their grammar is.

And my boss is a a world class grammar nazi who will rant at you if you use slang.

Top Bottom