How do you name your servers or computers?

woei

Hi,

I was wondering how do you name your servers and computers?

I'm naming my servers with names of the movie "The Matrix" so I have had like: Trinity, Morpheus, Dozer, Tank, Apoc and Neo.

My pc's at home are named after the processor in it. So I have E5300htpc and 2500K :)

What are yours named?

Mine were previously characters from Discworld. My desktop used to be called "Thud". Used the main characters from the Battlefield Bad Company games before that - so had Haggard & Sweetwater for a while.

Currently use the nickname for my forum which is Zorg.

Pegasus, centaurus, betelgeuse, andromeda, carina, draco... in another words, constellations. As a youngster I really loved astronomy and still play around with it every now and then.

Let’s say you are setting up a small network for your little business. While you, the loving and caring administrator, will without doubt remember that POP3 runs on 10.0.0.9, Jabber on 10.0.0.10 and FTP on 10.0.0.11, most of your users will probably soon be clamoring for easy to remember host names. This, of course, means you have to set up DNS on the network (which you may have already have done if it’s facing the Internet) but it also means you have to name your hosts.

Let’s say you are setting up a small network for your little business. While you, the loving and caring administrator, will without doubt remember that POP3 runs on 10.0.0.9, Jabber on 10.0.0.10 and FTP on 10.0.0.11, most of your users will probably soon be clamoring for easy to remember host names. This, of course, means you have to set up DNS on the network (which you may have already have done if it’s facing the Internet) but it also means you have to name your hosts.

At work we use a naming convention. We had in the past names that where silly, but it's more handy that you can see by the name the function of the server. Like server function like MAIL and a letter for the location behind it (We have 2 locations). For the employee's its just mail.domain.com. File Servers and domain controllers are all named in similar ways. Depending of the amount of servers of a category we also number them. The servers that are in our DMZ are named a bit more cryptic so you can't see the function of the server by the name.

Did have Aries on the ProxMox server - a test bed VPS server for playing with... it and I went to war with each other and I won. :p
LOL. You must be cheating! :D

Like you, I really love astronomy. I named my cat "Austraa" taken from "Asellus Australis" :D

I have a stupid idea too, I will name my child according to his/her alpha/beta-star zodiac :LOL:

Function and year...

SLIMBOX-2012
DESKTOP-2013
STREAM-2014
PS3-2010
PS3-2012
PS4-2013
360-203
BRAVIA-2012
BRAVIA-2013

etc...

Main domain attached to server, so server.paracast.net.

Nothing original, but useful to keep tabs on what server is currently handling a particular domain.

Used something similar to what Jaxel used, however I'll probably only do that for systems that I won't be using much anymore.

I'm using Gundam names:
  • Epyon (primary PC)
  • Wing (primary phone)
  • Deathescythe (primary tablet)
  • Shenlong (kitchen tablet)
  • Sandrock (primary laptop)
  • Heavy Arms (NAS)
For gaming systems I use Megaman names (I might go to Mighty no.9 characters though... because that dash).

Planet, moon or galaxy names for anything server related.

At work, in the good old days, they were named after rock band, "nirvana" was development, "deftones" was a system test, and "u2" was production.

Nowadays they are an unrecognizable combination of operating system, city location, and numerical value.

Personally, I name mine numerically, with a prefix if its an application server, mail server, or database server.

Top Bottom