How do you limit a specific user's time to change or delete a post

HydraulicJack

Once in a great while a user has thrown a tantrum on our site and has threatened to delete all posts they've ever made, all threads they've ever created, etc.

How does one restrict the time a Regular user can edit or delete a post (or thread)?

How does one reserve such rights only to persons with Moderator rights? Likewise for persons with Admin rights?

If this requires customization, is there a solution available? If not, I'd appreciate suggestions.

MANY thanks!

Once in a great while a user has thrown a tantrum on our site and has threatened to delete all posts they've ever made, all threads they've ever created, etc.
Obviously the people who are really going to delete all their posts aren't going to warn you.
Settings done on a user by user basis won't work as you'll only know you need it when it's too late.

Just give premium members (long term ones) a bit more freedom, but say 24h for active posts, and newbies get a few minutes. Nothing wrong with that. Moderators get up to a few months, and admins more. Though you should have the mods sign a contract so you can cash in when they abuse their powers and break the contract.

For every team member that is not me, I set hard delete to always NO.
This way when they're douches and delete their content, it's soft-deleted, you can then try to find them again and change them to undelete with inline moderation.

Checkbox at post, select it, go through all the threads, and in 1 sweep undelete them.

I do not think if you search for a user's content that soft-deleted content is in the list as well.

You could do a manual query in phpmyadmin for example, I guess, to change the value from soft deleted to public , for that user id, but I don't know if this has a side effect (what if first post is a thread?) .. perhaps Jake knows.

Obviously the people who are really going to delete all their posts aren't going to warn you.
Settings done on a user by user basis won't work as you'll only know you need it when it's too late.
Yep that's why I set the default to 24 hours, then they have to ask. If somebody wants more time, I can give it to them, but then we're in conversation, so that's a plus.

Also I really appreciate the function of a SOFT delete!

Top Bottom