XF 2.2 How do you install add-ons that you're not sure if they'll cause problems in XF2.2?

gogo

Some add-ons will make the XF collapse. So before upgrading to XF2.2, I disabled all add-ons and then enable one by one.

But if that's an incompatible one, it will trash the whole XF.. then I'll need to restore the back.

It's very inefficient to make backups before every add-on is enabled.

Do you have any better way?

Solution

Regaining control panel access​

If you find that an add-on is preventing you from accessing the control panel or from disabling add-ons, you can temporarily add the following line to the end of your src/config.php file:
Code:
$config['enableListeners'] = false;

Additional info and details can be found in the manual...

Regaining control panel access​

If you find that an add-on is preventing you from accessing the control panel or from disabling add-ons, you can temporarily add the following line to the end of your src/config.php file:
Code:
$config['enableListeners'] = false;

Additional info and details can be found in the manual...

Solution
If you want a localhost test installation, you can use this guide.

If you want a localhost test installation, you can use this guide.

Thanks! I'm actually running my test server live on a VPS behind a firewall.

In that case, this guide may help.

My plan is to make a snapshot of the production server any time I would like to do a developing test. Then restore the snapshot to a new VPS instant (with different IP address and different domain name, like mydomain-test.com). Change the mydomain.ssl.conf and update the domain crt, key, etc. So I'll have an independent test server mydomain-test.com with exactly the same data as the live server. After the test, I do the exact same changes in live server (after I shutdown the forum to public at midnight for example)

The downside is the test server can never keep up to date with the live server. Next time I need a test run, I'll have to do all the above things again.

Question: is the information given by you above a better solution for my case?

But it's still quite a tedious job every time I have to make a new test server all over again from a snapshot. I wonder how people usually do for the test->live process. I'm not really an experienced web admin.

But it's still quite a tedious job every time I have to make a new test server all over again from a snapshot. I wonder how people usually do for the test->live process. I'm not really an experienced web admin.
What I do is hold off on updates of xf until the dev community catches up with any breaking changes. What's the hurry to upgrade? Let others be the guinea pigs. Let others step in feces. Watch what's going on and how it relates to you and wait until the dust settles. Really saves a ton of headaches.

^^ I was wondering when someone was going to say what I was thinking - why the rush, let the devs do their work, let the add-on creators update their add-ons, wait until the bugs are sorted, then migrate to the new version.

Regardless of how long you wait, you still need to test the upgrade before trying it on your production site.

So you will still need a test installation somewhere - whether that's on localhost, your current server, or a separate server.

Top Bottom