How do I perform simple addition in a template?

Sean Kendle

Summary: How do I perform simple addition in a template?

Hi, Brogan. I'm trying to insert an ad between X threads in my forum in the threads list page.

I created a template modification for thread_list, and with the help of another post wrote this code:

Code:
        <xen:set var="$threadPosition">0</xen:set>

<xen:foreach loop="$stickyThreads" value="$thread" i="$i">
            <xen:include template="thread_list_item" />

<xen:set var="$threadPosition">$threadPosition + 1</xen:set>
        </xen:foreach>
        </xen:hook>

<xen:include template="ad_thread_list_below_stickies" />

<xen:foreach loop="$threads" value="$thread" i="$i">
            <xen:include template="thread_list_item" />

<!-- insert Ads every N threads: -->
            <xen:if is="{$i} == 3">
                <xen:include template="ads_in_content_1" />

<xen:include template="ads_mobile_in_content_1" />
            </xen:if>

<xen:if is="{$i} == 10">
                <xen:include template="ads_in_content_2" />

<xen:include template="ads_mobile_in_content_2" />
            </xen:if>

<!-- THREAD POSITION TEST: {$i} -->     
        </xen:foreach>

I just spent about half an hour searching google and this site, and I can't figure out any way to add 1 to a number within a template. (Or, add two variables together within a template, generally speaking, because I assume I'll need to do that again later.)

I have created a new variable, but would like to simply add 1 to that variable for each "sticky" and "normal" thread, since the variable $i resets for the second FOR loop, and I want to treat Sticky threads the same as normal Threads as far as inserting an ad below them.

I've tried the bold lines above for creating an adding a variable, but trying to do this results in concatenating a string, rather than adding 1 to the number.

Can you please help me with this?

Thanks. Is there a link to actual documentation explaining how that works?

How is this off topic for a thread titled "Using variables in templates"?

The biggest drawback for using Xenforo I've found has been a lack of centralized documentation for simple things like this. If I've missed it somehow, please direct me to it.

I know the difference between a variable and a function. I'm trying to use a variable in a template. Variables, by nature, are not always read-only. Those are constants. Generally, in programming, it's useful to be able to change a variable's value, including simple mathematics.

The fact that there are no posts in this forum explaining how to do that, and that you provide no Official Documentation means I have to rely on asking questions. Many of the threads here are extremely old, and you just now posted a thread about USING VARIABLES IN TEMPLATES today, so rather than exhume some 3+ year old thread, I thought I'd ask you.

I have split the posts off to a new thread as your specific question is "How do I perform simple addition in a template?".

The answer is to use xen:calc, like so:
Code:
{xen:calc '{$something} + 1'}

These are the functions you can use with xen:calc
  • abs
  • ceil
  • floor
  • max
  • min
  • pow
  • round

Thank you.
How can i use floor for $resource_id/1000 ?

I have done it like:
{xen:calc 'floor({xen:calc '{$thread.rid}/1000'})'}

Can i short it?

Last edited:
Top Bottom