XF 1.5 How do I go about setting user titles/usergroup promotions?

XYZ500

I'm getting a bit confused on setting these on XF. Following is what I want to achieve, please instruct me the easiest way of doing it.

A new user registered, user gets the title = Newbie
After being registered for 7 days + have made 25 posts, user title upgrades to = Member
Now they stay there forever until admin manually puts them in an another group (such as Premium Members etc.)

User permissions for Newbie and Member shall be the same.

So how do I set up these? And then how do I update all the imported members with these titles?

This page explains how to set up user group promotions: https://xenforo.com/help/user-group-promotions/

This one is for styling: https://xenforo.com/help/user-group-styling/

This guide explains how to stack permissions across user groups: https://xenforo.com/community/resources/implementing-permissions-across-multiple-user-groups.358/

Thank you! I'll check these out.
Is it possible to check which users are in a usergroup? I haven't been able to find that option. If I want to check that, I have to open the edit page of a user and then I can see which usergroup that user belongs to. But I can't find an option to open a usergroup and see how many/which members are in it.

If I want all users to have the same permissions but different titles, how about I put all users in one group (let's say registered) and then set user title promotions instead of any usergroups?

Last edited:
Is it possible to check which users are in a usergroup?
Use the Search for Users option in the ACP, running the search for the user group you want to check (which you'll set as being a member of a secondary user group if you set up permissions in the recommended way).

If I want all users to have the same permissions but different titles, how about I put all users in one group (let's say registered) and then set user title promotions instead of any usergroups?
You may want to look at the User Title Ladder (use the ACP search to find this) if you're looking at changing titles based on, say, number of trophy points or number of posts and don't want to give any changes in permissions. That will give titles like the "Member" and "Well-Known Member" that you see below avatars in posts. If you are wanting banners (similar in style to the Staff Member banner that Brogan has) then you would need to use user group promotions for this, though you could use these purely for banners and styling purposes with no additional permissions granted if you wished.

how about I put all users in one group (let's say registered) and then set user title promotions instead of any usergroups?

All users should be in registered as their primary usergroup. Then other groups are added as secondary and permissions are added to or removed from the primary default registered group. This is cruial to the way xenforo permissions work compared to something like vBulletin.

All promotions should only add (or remove) secondary groups.

All users should be in registered as their primary usergroup. Then other groups are added as secondary and permissions are added to or removed from the primary default registered group. This is cruial to the way xenforo permissions work compared to something like vBulletin.

All promotions should only add (or remove) secondary groups.

So what you mean is when you go to edit a user, the User Group there should be 'Registered' then if I want to give them more permissions, I can set Secondary User Groups? In User Group, I have the option of setting any user group. Imported users here have their old user groups that were imported from vB. I'm confused - what happens to these imported users who are already not in the Registered user group?

EDIT:
Is this how ALL users should be? http://prnt.sc/ec1o5n
User Group as Registered.
Then Secondary User Groups as whatever I want them including the administrator accounts.
Am I right?

You guys are using the term Primary and this term is not used anywhere in the user group section in ACP. So I am assuming the User Group option as seen in the screenshot is Primary User Group?

Last edited:
You can use batch update to search all users in any usergroup you imported, then change them to registered as their primary.

I think I'm getting it now. So I should use batch update function to put all users in registered. Then set usergroup promotions (based on total posts). Will user automatically get promoted then?

Secondly, while trying to batch update users to put them all in registered, I am not being able to exclude banned, users awaiting email confirmation etc. out of the search. Because I don't want them to go to registered user group and get unbanned. Their primary group is banned so how do I exclude these users from the search?

Banning a user in XenForo doesn't use a user group to do this. A banned user group would be purely for styling purposes only.

Batch update does have a "not in secondary user group" selection option. You can change those with primary user group of Banned to have the Primary user group as Registered and with a secondary user group of Banned. That's if you want to keep the banned user group for styling purposes (the permissions in it are irrelevant to banned users). If not, then simply go through the users in that group and use the ban feature in XenForo on each one of them and then delete the banned group.

Top Bottom