• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.

XF 1.2 how do I add icon or change node color when unread posts within?

zoldos

I'd like to add an icon to the RIGHT of a node title if it contains new/unread posts, and/or change the node title's color entirely. I couldn't figure it out and this is the best I came up with, but I just don't like it (see attachment). Is there a way to add the icon/change color? Thanks!

Attachments

zoldos

I know this can probably be done with CSS in the style properties area, but I don't know how. Help please!

Tracy Perry

I know this can probably be done with CSS in the style properties area, but I don't know how. Help please!
Try this in EXTRA.css for your style (where path/to/image.png is the path to your image and the image name).
Code:
.LoggedIn .discussionListItem .unreadLink, .LoggedIn .discussionListItem .ReadToggle {
background: url('path/to/image.png') no-repeat  0 !important;
}
This should only show for logged in users.
screenshot.png

zoldos

Hmmm.... doesn't seem to work. I don't see the image I selected displayed anywhere on my unread nodes. I checked the file path and it is correct. Any other ideas? I know it can be done!! :D

Tracy Perry

Hmmm.... doesn't seem to work. I don't see the image I selected displayed anywhere on my unread nodes. I checked the file path and it is correct. Any other ideas? I know it can be done!! :D
I know it can be done also - I posted an image of it in use with the example (exactly what I'm using). What is your site and can you post the exact code you are using.

zoldos

Sure:

Code:
.LoggedIn .discussionListItem .unreadLink, .LoggedIn .discussionListItem .ReadToggle {
background: url('http://www.avulsionnet.com/images/image2.png') no-repeat 0 !important;
}
I put this in extra.css and it doesn't seem to produce any result. I'm using a dark themed template and a blue icon.

Tracy Perry

Sure:

Code:
background: url('http://www.avulsionnet.com/images/image2.png') no-repeat 0 !important;
}
I put this in extra.css and it doesn't seem to produce any result. I'm using a dark themed template and a blue icon.
Remove the http://www.avulsion.net.com/ and just make it images/image2.png (if the avulsion.net is your web site) and if the image is located in /your_root_directory/images/image2.png.

Tracy Perry

I got it working by instead editing: Style Properties > Node Icons > Node Icon Unread Forum :) But thanks for your help!!
That's a different icon than what I understood you wanted. That's the main read/unread icon and is handled by a different segment of CSS code. What I gave you is the little flame looking icon that replaces the default blue dot that shows up beside them.

zoldos

Cool, but that level of customization is not needed on my forum. A member asked for an easier way to tell which forums had unread posts, so what I did was perfect. :)