How do I add a required field to Sign Up form and save the data?

HydraulicJack

Our forum registration is restricted to persons who have purchased one of our publications.

I would like to add a required field to the Sign Up form that asks the registrant for his/her order number.

At this time I don't need to match it automatically to a database or list of valid order ID's (that's in the future though), but would like the information to be stored (but not displayed to registrants other than those with administrator-level rights) as part of the User information, so that we can manually verify they have a provided a unique valid order ID.

Thanks!
HJ

Custom User Field.

Display Location: Preferences
General Options: Field is required, Show during registration
Uncheck: User editable, Viewable on profile pages

Hmm... I think you may have misunderstood my request, Brogan, or (more likely) I've misunderstood your response.

What I am needing first of all is an additional field in the Sign Up form itself that asks the registrant to provide his/her order number as part of the sign up.

Then I of course do want to be able to read the >results< of the field when I or another admin views his/her profile (It's ok if s/he can see it there too, altho I don't want OTHER users to see it).

I followed your above suggestion but the order number request field appears in the User Profile, not on the Sign Up (i.e. his/her actual registration) form.

Create a new field
Field ID: OrderID
Title: Order ID
Description: Your Order ID
Display Location: Preferences
Display Order: 1
Field Type: Single-line text box

Options for Text Fields
Value Match Requirements: Number (OPTIONAL)

Options for Choice Fields
NONE

General Options
Checked - Field is required
Checked - Show during registration
Checked - User editable
unchcked - Editable only once​
unchecked - Viewable on profile pages
unchecked - Viewable in message user info

SAVE FIELD:)

Thanks but this still puts the data field entry form on the Preferences page, doesn't it?

I need the data entry field to appear on the SIGN UP page. When the person registers and creates their username etc. I want them to ALSO provide their ORDER NUMBER on THAT page, please.

Am I misunderstanding something? Shouldn't the Display Location field bear the name of the page that is the actual SIGN UP form?

I need the data entry field to be on THIS page:

Screen shot 2011-12-21 at 3.58.40 PM SIGN UP PAGE.webp

Thanks but this still puts the data field entry form on the Preferences page, doesn't it?

I need the data entry field to appear on the SIGN UP page. When the person registers and creates their username etc. I want them to ALSO provide their ORDER NUMBER on THAT page, please.

Am I misunderstanding something? Shouldn't the Display Location field bear the name of the page that is the actual SIGN UP form?
Have you tried it? You're seeing it on the Preferences page for an existing account. The combination of "Required" and "Show During Registration" should require the field for *new* members when they go to sign up.

No I just opened a fresh browser (no cookies) and I get the Sign Up form as shown above. I do not see any field there that is asking for the order number. Can you please show me?

That is, I need it to be a field that they MUST complete BEFORE they click the Sign Up button.

What is the path to place this field and require it, on the SIGN UP page, not the Preferences page?

(is ok for data to display on Prefs page but the data must be REQUIRED on the >>Sign Up<< page)

That is, I need it to be a field that they MUST complete BEFORE they click the Sign Up button.

What is the path to place this field and require it, on the SIGN UP page, not the Preferences page?

(is ok for data to display on Prefs page but the data must be REQUIRED on the >>Sign Up<< page)
General Options
Checked - Field is required

try the setting i gave before

Top Bottom