How did Norway become so soft?

DRE

I grew up thinking Norway was the land of the Vikings. I thought their ancestors were famous for raping and pillaging the countryside. What the heck happened?

http://now.msn.com/now/0601-breivik-gets-friends

Prison to hire play pals for Norwegian mass murderer

related links
If you have a decent slapshot or know your rooks from your bishops, Norway's Ila prison might be looking for you. Not as an inmate, no, but to be a hired "friend" for mass murderer Anders Breivik. The monster who massacred 77 people last summer is largely kept away from other inmates because prison officials worry that he'll take them hostage. But, hey, even crazies need their playtime, so they're willing to bring in trained professionals to play chess and hockey against him. According to Norwegian law, it is "unduly cruel" to keep prisoners isolated for extended periods of time. Here's a tip, new "friends": you should probably just let him win.

Our prisons are vacations for most people. I am not kidding when I am saying that many foreign criminals almost hopes to be arrested in Norway, cause our prisons are almost like a holiday for them.

Our prisons are vacations for most people. I am not kidding when I am saying that many foreign criminals almost hopes to be arrested in Norway, cause our prisons are almost like a holiday for them.
lol This is not cool man. I can't believe I'm reading this.

Norway believes in rehabilitation over punishment. As far as I know, they do not give out life sentences, and presently, 21 years is the longest prison term possible for any offense.

But on the other hand, doesn't Norway have a very good success rate at preventing repeat offenders once released? I do know Norway often competes with Canada for the #1 ranking on the Human Development Index.

Norway believes in rehabilitation over punishment. As far as I know, they do not give out life sentences, and presently, 21 years is the longest prison term possible for any offense.

But on the other hand, doesn't Norway have a very good success rate at preventing repeat offenders once released? I do know Norway often competes with Canada for the #1 ranking on the Human Development Index.
If "competition" is giving serial killers 21 year sentences, we decline to compete. In Texas, we kill 'em. No repeat offenses there.

I once read about a super luxury 5 star hotel prison or was that Austria[?] O.O

If you don't mind me asking what's the general perception of Norwegians regarding this?

If "competition" is giving serial killers 21 year sentences, we decline to compete. In Texas, we kill 'em. No repeat offenses there.
Well, the HDI deals with a lot of different factors. But I have read that Norway's penal system is actually quite effective for the most part.

I do think there are some people that simply cannot be fixed, though.

I once read about a super luxury 5 star hotel prison or was that Austria[?] O.O

If you don't mind me asking what's the general perception of Norwegians regarding this?
yes

http://strafvollzug.justiz.gv.at/einrichtungen/justizanstalten/justizanstalt.php?id=18

pic_lo_1187880535_80.jpg

pic_lo_1187880559_81.jpg

sick, isn't it?

And norway have there own alcatraz => Bastøy , but much nicer^^
In tv (yes, they've shown it several times in some german documentations^^) they call it the paradise => http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/b...-relaxing-getaway-for-hardened-criminals.html

bastoey-prision.jpg

bastoey-prision2-550x194.jpg

if i travel ever to norway, i'll steal some bread from a shop to get a free vacation there:D*scnr*

Well, the HDI deals with a lot of different factors. But I have read that Norway's penal system is actually quite effective for the most part.

I do think there are some people that simply cannot be fixed, though.
Yeah, the only problem with that is when you find out it didn't work, someone else is dead. I firmly believe dogs who bite people and people who commit murder both need to be put down just because you can't risk another occurrence.

Between rehabilitating killers and executing them, guess which one as a 0% rate of reoccurrence?

This is unbelievable. That sick prick should be locked up in total isolement and throw the key away seeing the fact that Norway does not have capital punishment. Or put him in one of those tough prisons that we see in Discovery Channel programs and he will find plenty of buddies especially in the shower :D :D

Such a terrible story.
This guy is psychotic, but probably still deserves the death penalty.
And I don't even really believe in the death penalty.

He said he wanted to die ... should have shot him right then and there.
I bet his own dad would shoot him.

Just read that that he could get away with 21 years max. In prisons like that is just a long confortable get away. When he finished its sentence he will be out in his 40's! It was also amusing to read that he told the court that he was belittled by Turks when he was a child and that made him the way he is now! I'm not a big fan of bad prison conditions and capital punishment. The punishment should help towards rehabilitation. Prisoners should be aware why they are there and the cost of freedom and work they way to redeem themself. However, this animal is beyond rescue and all countries should have stronger sentences for these kind or sociopaths.

Just read that that he could get away with 21 years max. In prisons like that is just a long confortable get away. When he finished its sentence he will be out in his 40's! It was also amusing to read that he told the court that he was belittled by Turks when he was a child and that made him the way he is now! I'm not a big fan of bad prison conditions and capital punishment. The punishment should help towards rehabilitation. Prisoners should be aware why they are there and the cost of freedom and work they way to redeem themself. However, this animal is beyond rescue and all countries should have stronger sentences for these kind or sociopaths.
21 years is the maximum prison sentence, but he can get additional 10 years on top of that, and after that it can be re evaluated to another 10 years and so on. There is a reason the prosecution moves to have him declared insane, that way he can get forced treatment for the rest of his life. I really don't care either way, the fact of the matter his life is almost certainly over, he will never be able to live a normal life after this.

No, just the potential for the occasional wrongful conviction and then 'oops, we killed the wrong person'.

I'm not against Death sentences, as long as a) the person doesn't want to become a martyr and b) the evidence is 110% behind the person actually having committed the crime. Its one thing you cannot afford to get wrong.

Top Bottom