1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How come when I make a forum not postable by registered members it effects the admin?

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Problems' started by togermano, Apr 29, 2011.

1. togermano

togermano Member

I wanna make a news section and I want only admins to post in there and whne I change registered members not to have permission to make threads it effectrs me the admin too... how cme?
  2. Digital Doctor

Digital Doctor Well-Known Member

3. Trombones13

Trombones13 Well-Known Member

Brogan or Jake will correct me if I'm wrong, lol, but I think this is right: make sure the admin permission is set to Allow and the others are set to Not Set (No), which will allow anyone in the admin group to inherit the Allow permission. The Never permission overrides everything else. http://xenforo.com/community/threads/understanding-permissions.5830/
  4. Jake Bunce

Jake Bunce XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Long short, you should do this:

From this thread:

5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

6. togermano

togermano Member

How did you do that shoutcast thing at the top of your board?
  7. togermano

togermano Member

xenforo permission system is whacky as hell loves x
  8. togermano

togermano Member

9. Brogan

There is nothing whacky about it, permissions are cumulative and work exactly as designed.

If a member is in both user groups, as they should be, then NEVER will do exactly as it says.

Did you read the Permissions section of the Help manual I linked to earlier?
  10. togermano

togermano Member

I will just talking about my past experiences with forums.... My admin account is not in the same group as registered users though?
  11. Brogan

If changes to the Registered user group are affecting your Admin account then I can guarantee it is in the Registered user group, either as Primary or Secondary.

Either that or you haven't set the permissions correctly for the Administrative group.

If you don't have your Admin account in the Registered user group as the Primary though, you don't have things set up correctly.

12. togermano

togermano Member

What does it do on default? as I havent changed anything
  13. Brogan

Go to ACP -> Users -> Find User and enter your admin user name.

The user screen will list all the user groups you are a member of.

14. Trombones13

Trombones13 Well-Known Member