How can we limiting who can register/post

KHarms

I’ve looked over the docs but can’t seem to find a key need of mine.

After we purchase and install your system, we would like to limit who can create or respond to threads to registered users. I think that is the way it works by default – correct? But how can we limit who can register? We want to limit that to registered users of our software. Is there an API we can build from that can query into our user database or if that can’t be done can we have the system in some way email our support person who can then deny/approve the registration after we manually look them up in our database?

Registration can be controlled via manual approval, which would require an administrator to approve new members.

Integration with third party software would need a bridge, which would require custom development.

Registration can be controlled via manual approval, which would require an administrator to approve new members.

Integration with third party software would need a bridge, which would require custom development.

Custom development how? Do you publish an API of how to implement an Add-In or Bridge or would this require custom development on your side?

There is no API.

It would require custom development by you/your developer.

OK, I understand this but where would I have my developer begin? Is there any examples, documentation, or what? If possible I could use some help here to better understand what is possible and/or how much developer resources this will take. Some kind of an idea what this would take.

A faster and easy method would be to add a Custom User Text Profile Field.(i.e. General Options=Field is Required & Show during registration) Then under Options, define a single Value Match Requirement such as…
Code:
[p][a][S][S][w][o][r][d]
Simply email the registered users of your software the password (i.e. paSSword in this example), then no-one else can successfully register without it.

An even simpler method might be to ask a question that only registered users of your software will know the answer to, and thus would be the only ones able to successfully fill-it-in.(i.e. First 3 characters of their serial number, First year of your copyright found under the 'About Software' dropdown link, etc.)

Last edited:
Are we able to put users into groups with xenforo and give those groups different privilages as I'd like to have private forums where only some people are allowed to post.

Also I noticed on this forum that there are parts where only people with licenses are allowed to post. Is that easy to implement as I have a software that gives out licenses?

Would it be easy to only allow registrations from people who have a software license?

Are we able to put users into groups with xenforo and give those groups different privilages as I'd like to have private forums where only some people are allowed to post.
Yes, it is achieved via permissions.

Also I noticed on this forum that there are parts where only people with licenses are allowed to post. Is that easy to implement as I have a software that gives out licenses?
It's a custom add-on for this site only, linked to the customer account system.
It would be possible to implement something similar with custom development or an add-on.

Would it be easy to only allow registrations from people who have a software license?
That would require custom development.

Top Bottom