XF 1.4 How can members unfollow Followers?

New Joe

So there are 2 things for the Following for Xenforo
You Follow someone or they Follow you.
If you are Following someone then you can easily un-follow that members
But if a member is following you, as in they are the Followers then there is no way to un-follow the Followers.

Why?

I am not entirely sure of what you are actually questioning.

What I'm gather is you have User A and User B. User B follows User A. You are looking for a way for User A to remove himself from User B's follow list? If that's what you are after, there is no method in XenForo for that. Following a user allows you to aggregate content you like to read into your News Feed.

User A and User B. User B follows User A. You are looking for a way for User A to remove himself from User B's follow list? If that's what you are after, there is no method in XenForo for that. Following a user allows you to aggregate content you like to read into your News Feed.
Yes, user A started to follow user B, but user B doesn't want user A following him, he would like to remove user A from following him but he can't.
I think it should be an option to allow user B to stop user A from following him....

@New Joe kind of like the idiot that is following me that.. oh wait he finally got banned from the site.
I think it should be an option which members are able to decide upon
It's being forced on that a member is not able to take away or block people from following them, which is wrong imho
Like in vB or FB you are able to control such things via your settings.

There is a difference between the functionality of following and "friends."

Friends implies a connection between two users and fundamentally requires active permission from both parties. vBulletin and FaceBook function on this to build connections.

Following users is for content aggregation where you would like to see content from user X, Y, and B displayed in a prominent fashion. Twitter (in its non-private accounts) and XenForo function in this regards. For XenForo, it is a matter of taking updates and posts from Users you follow and placing them into a news feed for you to read and find.

There is no "connection" between the two users, just that User B wants to read updates/posts from User A. I personally can't see much use for a system like this as it would function as a block, disallowing the easy discovery of a users posts from other users.

I think it should be an option which members are able to decide upon
It's being forced on that a member is not able to take away or block people from following them, which is wrong imho
Like in vB or FB you are able to control such things via your settings.
Our problem is that we have some "bad" members who were banned or otherwise reprimanded, who rejoin under another email and IP, make few if any posts, and then start following members who they want to harass in other ways. It may not be apparent on smaller forums, but when you have several hundred members online at any one time, it becomes a major issue when staff or well-known members complain of being "stalked."

This is one of those nice features that work well 99.9% of the time, but you have those few who abuse it to make other members' lives miserable.

Instagram has an opt-in feature for letting others follow you--you can be open and let anyone follow, or accept requests and then accept/reject as needed. We had a suggestion open but it was not very popular...

We are getting to that point--I remember your add-on.

It's a case of having to disable a popular feature due to the small handful that ruin it for everyone. It would even be nice in the future to have a permission you could revoke from users to permit/block following others.

We are getting to that point--I remember your add-on.

It's a case of having to disable a popular feature due to the small handful that ruin it for everyone. It would even be nice in the future to have a permission you could revoke from users to permit/block following others.

I'm sitting with this problem right now. One of our users is being harassed by a few bad apples.

I would also be very glad if there was a permit/block feature. That is rather than having to disable the functionality all together.

One of the moderators on one of my forums recently called it the "Stalk" feature. Which basically is what it is--one member can follow another person's activity around the forum. And in a few cases (mainly on large/busy forums), a member follows another around to harass them via replies...because some members are petty that way. It would be better if "follow" had some teeth to it, like blocking. (Which is what an add-on does, and we may change over to that rather than remove the "follow" feature.)

Was this ever entered as a suggestion?

Top Bottom