How Can I Help Admins?

Does not need to be maintained (just in case I get busy I would like the product to keep being useful).
I'm worried about this point, to be honest - the way you're talking sounds like it'd be a "throwaway project," something you intend to do but not expect to seriously maintain if something more entertaining/profitable comes along. That's all very good and well - and not more than you'd expect for a hobby project - but I personally would be wary of using a resource that I know I'd be more or less on my own with.

I'm worried about this point, to be honest - the way you're talking sounds like it'd be a "throwaway project," something you intend to do but not expect to seriously maintain if something more entertaining/profitable comes along. That's all very good and well - and not more than you'd expect for a hobby project - but I personally would be wary of using a resource that I know I'd be more or less on my own with.
You may be right. Maybe I should commit to building something and sticking to it or back down.

You may be right. Maybe I should commit to building something and sticking to it or back down.
if I may sink into blind conjecture for a moment, it could simply be that the project doesn't yet exist so hasn't "sparked your interest" - I know I don't personally take on projects that don't interest me (and yes, being paid makes it interesting) because I'm likely to get bored of them. That's why that, although this thread is fine for ideas, you'd really need to find something that "clicks" for you, a problem that interests you beyond simply serving as a curiosity.

A good example from my personal experience is this: if I try to take on, say, a downloads manager add-on for XenForo, I'd lose interest very fast as it doesn't have any interest for me or for my forum's users. A gallery, however, definitely would as my community is very creatively inclined, and some fancy IRC integration would interest me because I like XenForo and I like IRC and there's very little available on that front. Find something that makes you think "yes, I really want to see this problem solved," do it, and make sure you're doing it for the satisfaction of the job.

Unless you'll charge for it, in which case replace "satisfaction" with "cold, hard currency." ;)

if I may sink into blind conjecture for a moment, it could simply be that the project doesn't yet exist so hasn't "sparked your interest" - I know I don't personally take on projects that don't interest me (and yes, being paid makes it interesting) because I'm likely to get bored of them. That's why that, although this thread is fine for ideas, you'd really need to find something that "clicks" for you, a problem that interests you beyond simply serving as a curiosity.

A good example from my personal experience is this: if I try to take on, say, a downloads manager add-on for XenForo, I'd lose interest very fast as it doesn't have any interest for me or for my forum's users. A gallery, however, definitely would as my community is very creatively inclined, and some fancy IRC integration would interest me because I like XenForo and I like IRC and there's very little available on that front. Find something that makes you think "yes, I really want to see this problem solved," do it, and make sure you're doing it for the satisfaction of the job.

Unless you'll charge for it, in which case replace "satisfaction" with "cold, hard currency." ;)
Good thoughts. I have a passion for empowering admins but the last project I started, I could not complete as I got ill and another part of my business really took off. I run some significant online communities so maybe I can find something like you said, something that works for those communities and mine. However, I do not run any XF communities but only social networks.

I think my conclusion is that I am going to wait until I have a little more time and then seek to commit to something potentially bigger-scale (which I will stick with). In the meantime, thanks for being awesome!

Top Bottom