How an experienced iOS developer can get orientated to XF development

ByNumber

Hi,

I appreciated using a XF site as a user. My interest is to gauge the amount of time it will take me to create an add-on to rate and evaluate reputations. I read the first 100+ pages of this forum. I also searched the example code. I found an example by Xon that seemed somewhat related. I spent a full day investigating development concerns.

I learn a new programming environment by reading tutorials and playing with example code. I did find enough relevant examples to encourage me to download a trial license. Three days is certainly not long enough to get up to speed using debug/localhost. A month is probably closer to the proper time scale.

I know very little about PHP and javascript. I have years of HTML/CSS/JSON experience. I have modified PHP for mac localhost to test iPhone Safari browser code. I have years of SQL experience, but haven't used SQL for a very long time.

What's the most expedient way to identify the amount of work required to get a basic reputation add-on built? I have a specific algorithm that I want to implement after the fundamental MVC pieces are in place. The exisiting add-ons simply rate one piece of information. I need to rate three items in two separate classes, so six different DB fields in total.

Thanks,
Mike

I need six numeric DB fields.

I also need several other relations:
  1. Who - userid providing rating
  2. What - which post inside thread
  3. Where - which thread
  4. When - timestamp
  5. Why - an optional comment
Most XF forum content will be subscription based. PayPal payments seem like a trivial admin parameter to enable. I don't get the impression that additional programming is required for in-app payment?

Last edited:
We don't offer downloadable trial licenses, so in order to access the code, you would have to purchase a license.

Once you do, you can then post in the dedicated development forum for community based support.

We don't offer downloadable trial licenses, so in order to access the code, you would have to purchase a license.

Once you do, you can then post in the dedicated development forum for community based support.
OK. My goal is to estimate the amount of work. The license is inexpensive compared to the time that might be required to implement the functionality. XF might not be a feasible option.

The time really depends on the scope of work and how long it takes you to get up to speed on XF code.

The dev docs may help: https://xenforo.com/xf2-docs/dev/

I already read that page.

Where is the DB schema?

I think I explained the functionality fairly clearly and succinctly. I noticed many post to this thread about reputation. I am surprised that such a basic set of classes do not already exist that developers can extent.

Which classes do I need to modify?

I will come up to speed quickly. I have more programming experience than I like to admit.

Last edited:
As the pre-sales forum is a public forum which unlicensed members can post in, the community is unable to provide detailed information on the schema, classes, or any other development related data.

As the pre-sales forum is a public forum which unlicensed members can post in, the community is unable to provide detailed information on the schema, classes, or any other development related data.

I am very skeptical that your system was designed to be extensible. The evidence argues strongly against it.

Such common, fundamental functionality is a concern that many inquires have been made about. Your response just re-confirms my suspicions.

A serious development platform provides at least this level of information:

Last edited:
I am very skeptical that your system was designed to be extensible. The evidence argues strongly against it.

Such common, fundamental functionality is a concern that many inquires have been made about. Your response just re-confirms my suspicions.

A serious development platform provides at least this level of information:

You may have more luck by tagging the developers @Chris D @Kier

Top Bottom